You young folks sure do make it hard for us old folks what with all this new technology. When I was a boy, we didn't have any o these fancy blogs, or e mail or computrs', we just sent smoke messages to our friends in the back yard with some gasoline and some tree branches, and sometimes we caught on fire and we were the smoke message and we told our friends in the smoke we was burning to death sending them a message...
Ha Ha! That was a reference to the "Grumpy Old Man" done by Dana Carvey, the best comedian ever on Saturday night live.
Congratulations Emma on graduating!!
Anyway, the correct version of the story of Glo's and my accident is a little different from the Cheese's version. You might not know this but I am cheap. Everything expensive I have I bought because I liked it but in large part because I thought it was a good deal, our furniture, our land and the house. If you want more details on this, call me. Anyway, when we were in Germany lots of people would buy Volvos. You could order it near the base and Volvo would pay for you to go to Sweden, stay overnight and you could drive your new car home. Then they would ship it to America when you went home for free. Being the cheap fellow I am, I never even though about that but one day about 8 months before we left i got it into my head to look in the paper and check out cars. I saw several volvos for sale and I called on some. Most were at bases far from us so I did not really think seriously about it, but one sounded kind of good and it was on the way home from the temple one saturday we were going to the temple in Frankfurt so I asked larisa if she wanted to see it. She has always wanted to buy a nice car so she said yes. We met with the guy selling it and it was a Volvo V50 All wheel drive, turbo station wagon. It was the smallest station wagon they have and most of you probably have not seen it, it is pretty unpopular. It was a 2005, with 10000 miles on it and it was 22000 dollars which is more than I have spent on all the cars I ever bought put together in my life. But I felt like it was time to buy a nice car, it was practically new and I just felt like buying a safe Volvo was the thing to do. I justified it partly because Ethan would be driving and we would need a car that was safe for him. Well, let me tell you I really liked that car. it was peppy, as it had a 5 cylinder turbo with a 6 speed manual transmission and it was cool inside. Even though it was a station wagon it was cool and on the Autobahn it did 130 miles an hour.
So, fast forward to the Tuesday before last. I was picking Glo up from her Violin lesson and was talking to her teacher for a few minutes and she got in the back of the car. She got bored and climbed in the front seat. We leave and are going down a two lane road and are stopped behind someone turning left. All of a sudden our car gets hit hard in the back and we are jolted in our seats. I was talking to Larisa at the time. I turned off the car, went around and got Glo out and walked her across the road and made sure she was ok. My back hurt a little but barely any. I went back across the road and the car that hit us is a hyundai accent - little sedan and it is to the right and behind my car in the ditch. I opened the door, told the lady to turn off the car and made sure she was ok and helped her get out.
We were ok, she was ok and the guy in front of me was fine but the back of his rental was banged into slightly. The back of my car was smashed mostly on the right corner and her car, the whole front end was smashed. For some reason the policeman did not even give her a ticket. So it took them a few days but they decided my car was totalled as was hers. So Little Whitey is going to the salvage yard in the sky. I have to tell anyone who is reading this, I feel like Heavenly Father was protecting us from harm by prompting me to buy a Volvo. I thought it was for Ethan but now I feel like it was for Glo and I. Also, thankfully my car, is worth quite a bit since I bought it for a deal in Germany.
So this past week I have been looking at cars. I could not find anything in the paper initially. I looked online and found a volvo v50 all wheel drive but it was on ebay and I lost in the last minute. So I was looking at a 2005 celica, it got sold and I was starting to get kind of stressed out. The volvo dealer only had a new v50 which was much more expensive than mine and financing was expensive. Then I went to the Honda dealer to look at a Hybrid and saw a cool convertible sports car called an S6000. It was 2006 and it had 2000 miles on it. They had discounted the price 4000 dollars and said that was the best price possible. Larisa and I test drove it and it is sweet and peppy and we liked it. It is also impractical for a family man, but Ethan will be getting a car in the next month or two because he will be driving and so I considered it. I was torn because I did find a Honda Element - like an SUV in the paper with all wheel drive but Larisa did not want a truck and I was worried about the gas mileage. So I called the dealer and made an out the door offer. I asked for a deal and I got it for just 450 more than I offered, basically 2000 less than that solid sticker price they said could not be lowered. So I am now the proud owner of a canary yellow convertible that is sweet. The payments are less than the payments for the Volvo though the term starts now, but what fun. Come visit us and I will take you for a ride. (Posted by John)
Ha Ha! That was a reference to the "Grumpy Old Man" done by Dana Carvey, the best comedian ever on Saturday night live.
Congratulations Emma on graduating!!
Anyway, the correct version of the story of Glo's and my accident is a little different from the Cheese's version. You might not know this but I am cheap. Everything expensive I have I bought because I liked it but in large part because I thought it was a good deal, our furniture, our land and the house. If you want more details on this, call me. Anyway, when we were in Germany lots of people would buy Volvos. You could order it near the base and Volvo would pay for you to go to Sweden, stay overnight and you could drive your new car home. Then they would ship it to America when you went home for free. Being the cheap fellow I am, I never even though about that but one day about 8 months before we left i got it into my head to look in the paper and check out cars. I saw several volvos for sale and I called on some. Most were at bases far from us so I did not really think seriously about it, but one sounded kind of good and it was on the way home from the temple one saturday we were going to the temple in Frankfurt so I asked larisa if she wanted to see it. She has always wanted to buy a nice car so she said yes. We met with the guy selling it and it was a Volvo V50 All wheel drive, turbo station wagon. It was the smallest station wagon they have and most of you probably have not seen it, it is pretty unpopular. It was a 2005, with 10000 miles on it and it was 22000 dollars which is more than I have spent on all the cars I ever bought put together in my life. But I felt like it was time to buy a nice car, it was practically new and I just felt like buying a safe Volvo was the thing to do. I justified it partly because Ethan would be driving and we would need a car that was safe for him. Well, let me tell you I really liked that car. it was peppy, as it had a 5 cylinder turbo with a 6 speed manual transmission and it was cool inside. Even though it was a station wagon it was cool and on the Autobahn it did 130 miles an hour.
So, fast forward to the Tuesday before last. I was picking Glo up from her Violin lesson and was talking to her teacher for a few minutes and she got in the back of the car. She got bored and climbed in the front seat. We leave and are going down a two lane road and are stopped behind someone turning left. All of a sudden our car gets hit hard in the back and we are jolted in our seats. I was talking to Larisa at the time. I turned off the car, went around and got Glo out and walked her across the road and made sure she was ok. My back hurt a little but barely any. I went back across the road and the car that hit us is a hyundai accent - little sedan and it is to the right and behind my car in the ditch. I opened the door, told the lady to turn off the car and made sure she was ok and helped her get out.
We were ok, she was ok and the guy in front of me was fine but the back of his rental was banged into slightly. The back of my car was smashed mostly on the right corner and her car, the whole front end was smashed. For some reason the policeman did not even give her a ticket. So it took them a few days but they decided my car was totalled as was hers. So Little Whitey is going to the salvage yard in the sky. I have to tell anyone who is reading this, I feel like Heavenly Father was protecting us from harm by prompting me to buy a Volvo. I thought it was for Ethan but now I feel like it was for Glo and I. Also, thankfully my car, is worth quite a bit since I bought it for a deal in Germany.
So this past week I have been looking at cars. I could not find anything in the paper initially. I looked online and found a volvo v50 all wheel drive but it was on ebay and I lost in the last minute. So I was looking at a 2005 celica, it got sold and I was starting to get kind of stressed out. The volvo dealer only had a new v50 which was much more expensive than mine and financing was expensive. Then I went to the Honda dealer to look at a Hybrid and saw a cool convertible sports car called an S6000. It was 2006 and it had 2000 miles on it. They had discounted the price 4000 dollars and said that was the best price possible. Larisa and I test drove it and it is sweet and peppy and we liked it. It is also impractical for a family man, but Ethan will be getting a car in the next month or two because he will be driving and so I considered it. I was torn because I did find a Honda Element - like an SUV in the paper with all wheel drive but Larisa did not want a truck and I was worried about the gas mileage. So I called the dealer and made an out the door offer. I asked for a deal and I got it for just 450 more than I offered, basically 2000 less than that solid sticker price they said could not be lowered. So I am now the proud owner of a canary yellow convertible that is sweet. The payments are less than the payments for the Volvo though the term starts now, but what fun. Come visit us and I will take you for a ride. (Posted by John)
No comments:
Post a Comment