Long story.
Each spring, the band at Mark's high school features a soloist in a musical work. Unbelievably, Mark was chosen this year. I say unbelievably because there is a lot of politicking in our area, and Mark doesn't play the politics "game" so he's usually out. We're not even sure how or why Mark was chosen, but it doesn't matter--he took the opportunity!
Three years ago, and for only three weeks, Mark studied a piece for horn by Camille Saint-Saens. It's a standard piece of repertoire for any hornist. He didn't do much with it, but learn it, shelve it and forget about it.
Mr. Victor, the band director, decided that Mark would play this piece for the band concert. For the past month, I have not heard one note of the music in any of Mark's practicing. I wasn't even sure that he was still playing for the concert.
This Sunday, Mark tells me that the concert is this Wednesday (yesterday) and he'll be playing.
Why so low key about it all?
One reason: band.
Unless you actually play in a band as a profession, band is a little bit of a joke. It's generally for musicians who aren't qualified enough to sit in an orchestra, or for instruments that are solely band instruments (i.e. saxophone). Mark needed to play in a large ensemble at the school, and the orchestra director (while friendly) is a rocker (in other words, he teaches Rock Ensemble), so Mark has played in band for four years.
Morceau de Concert was written by one of the premiere French composers of all time...for orchestra!
For the past three days, Mark has been apologizing repeatedly to me, in advance, for the band. Not only is it a band that is accompanying him, but it's the concert band. The band that is open to anyone in 11th, or 12th grade, no audition required.
In fact, when Glo's violin teacher asked Mark about performing, all he had to say was that he was performing it with a band, and she didn't need to hear more. Angela, Mark's horn teacher, has had no worries about it.
Anyway, we showed up last night, got the camera all set, and prepared ourselves. I knew that I needed to just focus on Mark and his performance and leave the band in the background. Here's what we heard (the best part of the recording is the last minute--high and fast notes):
Mark was stellar! I mean seriously, I don't know how he kept his focus and concentration through the mess that was behind him. However, he played as sensitively as could and still sounded like a legitimate musician.
We were so incredibly proud of him and all that he has accomplished. I seriously can't wait to see what Mark does in the future. Good job, Markie-Boy!
Mark can do anything he sets out to do! Three cheers for Mark's stellar horn skills!
ReplyDelete