Okay, so I have come to the conclusion that being a camp counselor is a dangerous occupation, and that we camp counselors deserve some form of hazard pay as a result. While I have been at Interlochen, it has seemed as though I've been fairly healthy. Thankfully, I have not gotten sick, unlike some of my fellow counselors, who have gotten sick. Note that this is in no way due to their actions, but rather some camper who forgets to wash his hands, spreads germs around the cabin, and infects the unfortunate counselor. Then, when said counselor goes to the infirmary, thy receive little, if no, medical attention, or at least in comparison to campers.
Then, there are the common scratches that occur. However, thinking back to all of the blood that I have shed while here, it amounts to quite a bit. For example, last week when I returned from my day off, I decided to play ultimate frisbee with a couple of campers before call to quarters. Being the competitive person I am, I of course went all out. However, there was one deep throw that I was totally going for, I was watching it to make sure I knew where it was, jumped and....WHAM!!!! Out of nowhere I run into a stinking tree that was so rude as to have low hanging branches, and I got a face full of leaves and branches. When I finally realized what had happened, I examined myself to make sure that I was okay. Sure enough, I had multiple scratches on various parts of my face. For the next several days, I looked as though my face had gotten into a fight with a cat, and myself coming out the worse for wear. Finally, it healed, and I was great, until today I decided to play monkey in the middle. Again, being the competitive person that I am, I went all out, and got smacked in the face as a camper threw the ball. I felt as though I was experiencing deja vu as I again examined my face, and found to my horror that I had gotten cut again! It was ridiculous.
There are plenty of other examples of counselors getting injured, with a counselor most recently having an arm in a cast for three weeks due to his entertaining a camper. This is a ridiculous system, with the counselors receiving little to no credit for the literal blood they put into this camp, and not receiving any recognition for it.
Hey Cheese. You better be careful about slamming the medical personnel/system there. Just remember that it was one of the reasons that we were all able to attend. If you have issues with the care that you receive, you simply need to name drop: "Hi, I'm Ethan Kennedy, Dr. Kennedy's son. Remember him from the first two weeks?" Then, when any of your fellow counselors go in, you should accompany them, and I'm sure they will receive adequate treatment also. Too, you need to remember that the staff there are seeing between 4 and 9 cases of swine flu A DAY. A few scratches on the face aren't anything in comparison.
ReplyDeleteAaahhhh...it feels good to once again serve up some compassion with a heaping side of guilt.... When exactly are you coming home?
BTW, sorry to hear about the injuries. Glad to hear though that the Kennedy competitiveness is still being well represented!
ReplyDeleteHaha very true. I posted more cuz I felt there needed to be a new post more than anything else/
ReplyDeleteYes! The two of us will keep this blog ALIVE!! Alive I say!! ALIVE!! By the way, when should I expect the next call??? :-)
ReplyDeleteI would have dropped the Dr Apgar thing and they would have jumped to attention. My grandmother who is not an ObGyn and knows about treatment of injuries would expect only the best treatment for her buzz-cut Eth-man. It was probably the hair situation that got you minimal respect however..........!!
ReplyDeleteMB
Wow M-Boo, even when Ethan was hurt, you still got in something about his hair. By the way I couldn't agree with you more about the buzz cut.
ReplyDeleteSorry Ethan.