Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tropicana Taste Test

This morning was a delightful Sunday morning.  Because of General Conference, we were all able to sleep in and then have a relaxing breakfast together.  Our favorite breakfast is waffles, bacon, fruit (when available) and orange juice.

Because of a bizarre sequence of events, we ended up with four different varieties of orange juice in our home.  When the Tropicana was finished off, and Mark asked for some of the Tropicana left in my glass, I denied him any of mine (I don't share my food) and sent him to the refrigerator to get more.  Tropicana orange juice is one of his favorite foods.  Much to his chagrin, he discovered that although the cartons looked the same, the next container of orange juice was not Tropicana.  I tried to explain to him that I'm sure the store brand would taste the same because oftentimes companies bottle the same product under different labels.  Hesitantly, he poured a glass, but after one sip, he said he could definitely taste a difference, and it just wasn't as good.

Quite frankly, I didn't believe him, and knowing that we had so many different varieties in the house, and seeing that I still had about 3/4 cup in my glass, I suggested a taste test.  Is it a mental thing that Mark likes Tropicana?  In other words, is he just a Tropicana snob?

I set it up.  Seriously, it took me back to the commercials of my youth where companies would set up taste tests of Coke and Pepsi  :-)  I told Mark to get on some kind of mask, and Johannah even offered her sleep mask, but to all of our delight, he came down not only in his new scuba shirt, but wearing the Polish soccer scarf that Ethan sent Mark.  Perfect!




He took a sip from each glass (for the record, the Tropicana is the second glass from the left).


I asked him if he wanted to try any again after the first run-through, but he only wanted to taste the second glass from the left again.  Silly me, thinking that Mark needed to double-check the taste.  Oh, no. He knew it was the Tropicana and just wanted to get the sip that he had requested initially!

Here he is, victorious!

Not to be outdone, and honestly suffering on the avocado diet, John volunteered for the taste test also.  Again, donning of the scarf...


A sip from each glass....


And we have another winner!


Needless to say, I didn't get back any of my Tropicana orange juice!  Not that I would have been able to taste the difference anyway! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Tropicana definitely is the best. One of the best thing about the avocado diet that I am doing is that every so often I get little tropicana orange juice cartons, some days I get one, some days too, and then there are sad days when I get none, just some crummy apple juice. So when it came to the taste test, I had no doubt. By the way, you know when they speak in literature about the nectar of the gods, it is orange juice. Since I was a kid, when orange juice only lasted about 10 minutes in our poor home, I have always loved orange juice. In fact, all my life, when I have a choice of drinks, I always choose orange juice. As a child, I was always very happy to visit other people's homes, be offered drinks and have orange juice as an option, because I always took that, it being the nectar of the gods and all.

    ReplyDelete