Thursday, March 31, 2011

Take Me Back!

This post is not like the regular ones.  No introspection, no spiritual thoughts.  Just coveting, jealousy and envy.  Plain and simple.

Today I checked the blog of Ethan's mission president's wife.  I have to include a few photos and her commentary:

BOLESLAWIEC!!!! The Polish Pottery capital of the world. They say the best polish pottery comes from this area in Poland because of the clay that is in this region. The area is full of polish pottery factories. 

It is a quaint little city where their rondos (round-abouts) are decorated with larger than life Polish pots.

Someday I am coming back here and going to "shop 'til I drop".
We only had time to go into one shop because they were all closing. But I WILL BE BACK!

For those of you who know me, Boleslawiec was like a second home for me when we lived in Germany :-)  I actually visited the place five separate times doing nothing else but buying Polish pottery.  No sight-seeing, no staying over in hotels.  Just shopping and leaving.  The beauty of it all was that when I first started going there, the dollar was strong, and the Euro was non-existent.  Man, I brought home boxes and boxes of pottery.  Even when the dollar went down, it was still a steal!  I could hardly believe it when I came back to the States and saw cereal bowls selling for $20 each--I bought mine for $4.

If you've visited us, you've seen that we only have Polish pottery for our every day dishes.  That's it.  Nothing else.  Polish pottery.

Yes, I am so jealous of those who are even in the same country as Boleslawiec.  Green with envy.  I know it's not pretty.  I know that you didn't know this side of me existed.  I don't generally like shopping, and I'm pretty low maintenance...except when it comes to Polish pottery.  Yes, I might just sell my soul someday for the chance to go back and buy more.  Want to join me?!

4 comments:

  1. I must say I would be tempted to join you! We only got to make one trip, and it was a short one. I love the Polish Pottery I have, but I sure wish I had realized how much I would love it the first time we lived in Germany when it really was dirt cheap, because I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's go, we can take my van and fill the back with pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Sister Nielson:

    i did laugh when i read your website!!! i too think the polish pottery is so beautiful!! my problem is that my house is green!!! and the blue doesn't look all that good with it....but...i am really liking the idea of the cookware. as you know, i was in the greatest polish pottery town in the world and i was with president....who is not much of a shopper! i figure i have over two years to make it back....and i hope i get there more than once.

    elder kennedy is a great missionary. he is hard working and you can trust him with anything. he is such an asset to our mission. now that he is serving in warsaw, i will be able to see more of him. you have raised a great son....and all the missionaries respect him. that is a real compliment! we will take care of him! love, sister nielson

    ReplyDelete