Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Goodbye for now...

Today, we took Ethan to the MTC so that he can begin his whole missionary experience. He'll be gone for two years which seems like forever to me, but I know will pass quickly for him. I only shed one tear the entire day, when he didn't let go of me when he hugged me goodbye, and I was wearing sunglasses so technically it didn't count. However, writing this I'm crying, but they are good tears.

We spent one crazy night in a Rodeway Inn in Philadelphia last night. Only four hours of sleep and we wondered when the cockroaches were going to come crawling out of the light fixtures, but we all got a good laugh out of it. Then, we almost missed the flight to SLC, compliments of SOMEONE who still struggles with time management issues :-) However, we got on the plane, Ethan got a nap, I caught the USA/Algeria soccer game, and we landed.

We met our good friends, the Daileys, at the airport. They had flown in from California to spend the next couple of days with us. Mike commented that this was their first babysitter to serve a mission since Ethan was their babysitter in Germany :-) We then drove down to Provo, and joined Mike and Katrina and kids at Olive Garden. Ethan was SO nervous about everything which I thought was unusual. He has flown so many places in his life and lived all over the world and been such a leader in so many different arenas and functioned in countries where English isn't the language. As Celeste said, he has literally been prepared for his specific mission call to Poland his entire life. However, once we actually parked in front of the MTC, he couldn't take the smile off of his face. All of his nervousness turned to excitement and happiness which was a beautiful thing to see.

While we were waiting in line to get his photo with the sign for the MTC (a tradition), we discovered two elders about to go in also who are also going to Poland. They were the most fantastic guys--super outgoing and friendly and AWESOME! I think we all breathed a sigh of relief, realizing that maybe, for once, Ethan wouldn't have to be the only strong one around--there will be other great men in Poland with him. Truly, the green berets of missionaries!

As Ethan began the "walk of no return" towards his escort, I looked at him and all he had and realized that he was taking so many people with him on his mission:

the cat keychain that Johannah had secured to his backpack with a taped-on note that said, "I love you, Ethan"

the leather backpack that Grandad McMillin and Vannette had given him (and that he carried all year at school)

the beautiful new suit that was bought with money that Mike and Katrina gave him

the monkey fists that Mark made yesterday to attach to his luggage so that he can identify it easily in the airport

the beautiful tie that Anna gave him when they last said good-bye

Of course, there are more things inside the luggage that again remind him of how many people love him. When he was set apart last night by our stake president, he was told that so many people will be praying for him and for his success, and I believe it. I am so thankful for everyone that thought of him--that gave him money, and journals, and address books, and that called him the night before he left. I'm hoping that during the hard times, he will remember all that love and gain strength from it.

The last poignant moment was when we said goodbye. He hugged us and kissed us (and didn't really want to let go) and then turned to walk towards his dorm. In our family, it's tradition to stand and wave goodbye to anybody that is leaving until they are out of sight. I waited and waited for him to turn and see us and wave goodbye back at me, but he was already talking and laughing with his escort, and I think he forgot to look back at us. And I realized that that was exactly how it should be.

God's speed, my dear boy.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy he wore the tie I gave him into the MTC. When I saw that, you should have seen the smile that appeared on my face!

    Kudos Larisa... God's speed, Ethan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll miss you Ethan, we all love you so much. I'm getting the keyboard all wet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay now I have tears-and no suglasses thanks to 7 Peaks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn those toilets, Katrina! I just might have to print up that comment for Ethan--it'll give him a good laugh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need Ethan home! Mark and Glo are already driving me crazy! Mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before Ethan went into the MTC he was very concerned about how he would feel there. I really think he will love it because it is a contant spiritual feast! Every day, every hour you are studying and learning and hearing great classes about the gospel and the Savior. It was beautiful seeing Ethan going into the MTC and seeing how excited he was. We love him and are so happy with the choice he has made to go on a mission!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for Ethan! He is such a great example for me - I will be praying for him.
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  8. (gulp)

    Can't wait to hear about the adventures to come. What a great example he is.

    ReplyDelete