Our primary means of transportation here is bicycle. Last year, we brought all of our bikes, but this year, John didn't want to add a trailer hitch to my new Volvo, so we came without. Turns out, there is a guy here that reconditions all the leftover bikes and resells them. Glo, frustrated that she was needing to walk everywhere, couldn't wait to visit the "bike guy". When we showed up, there was no question in her mind which was her bike--a 1980 Free Spirit bike in cherry red. No hand brakes with this baby--just pedal brakes--and no gears. She loves it and rides it to all her rehearsals and classes.
Only problem is that we offered to pay the guy half what he wanted because we're planning on returning it to him. Yeah, Glo is having none of that. She has worked out a plan where we will leave it with someone that we know here so that she can have it again next year. We'll see!
Funny how things from the 70's and 80's are cool now. Who would've thought?
I totally understand Glo's love for her bike. My favorite bike just died and it was a no gears, pedal back brakes vehicle as well. Oh I loved that bike!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, Sarah. You and bikes! I can't help but laugh at the stories you have to tell. Seriously, if I had known, I would NEVER have planned that trip through Killarney National Park--you were such a silent trooper!
ReplyDeleteGlo sure loves her red bike, it is great and even though it got stolen, we got it back, hooray!
ReplyDelete