Saturday, June 12, 2010

Seeing Where I'm Going

Today was the second day of our (almost) coast to coast drive. I know that most people dread the drive across Iowa and Nebraska, but I discovered today that I find it extremely enjoyable. Why? Because I can see where I'm going.

I don't know if it's because I grew up in West Texas, but I like flat open spaces. There is something so beautiful to me to look out over open prairie land. Literally it brings peace to my soul.

Today, while stopped at a rest area outside of Grand Island, Nebraska, I stood and watched the kids play frisbee. While walking around, it felt as though the possibility of opportunities was moving from the rich, dark fertile soil up through my bones and into my soul. A gentle breeze was blowing through the trees and I could see for miles.

As we drove, I could see a weather front directly in front of us. I knew it was coming, and within minutes, the heavens opened and poured down on us. Lightning was everywhere, sometimes hiding within clouds and lighting up the entire sky, and other times streaking in ribbons down to earth. The thunder was so close that I couldn't tell when one roar of thunder would end and the next would begin. I loved every minute of it.

Having spent the last 10 years of life in either Germany or Pennsylvania, I think I've forgotten what's it like to see what's coming before it comes. Maybe that's why I'm so nervous in cars now when other people drive. I never know what's over the next hill, or around the next bend. Hill after hill, covered by tree after tree. Couple that feeling with snow and ice and I'm a basket case. In the rain today, I was fearless. Sometimes the rain was so hard, I couldn't actually see the road, but I knew it was flat and straight and just keep heading west.

Naturally, I found a way to apply this to my life also :-) I like to plan things out. I like to know what's next. Spontaneity has rarely been my friend. Unexpected trials are tricky things for me--maybe that's why Heavenly Father gives me so many!

Yep, I like to see where I'm going.

4 comments:

  1. I personally dread the Iowa and Nebraska (and Wyoming) drive. It's too much of the same thing for me; I don't always like to know what's coming next, it makes life more exciting! Enjoy the rest of your drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I TOTALLY thought of you last night when we arrived in Cheyenne. I saw the AFB as we drove in and as we drove out. Even when we were eating at Applebee's, I wondered if perhaps the Morans had ever eaten there--made me feel a bit closer to you guys :-) I actually LOVE the Wyoming scenery--it reminded all of us of Ireland (of all places). Maybe Wyoming wouldn't be such a bad place to retire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have eaten at Applebee's in Cheyenne, but more often we were at Chili's across the road or at Texas Roadhouse a little further down. the scenery in Wyoming takes some getting used to but it is beautiful in it's own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a fantastic writer, Larisa! I loved reading your avid, image-filled description of your journey. What a special experience for you!

    ReplyDelete