Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gloria, the Star!

Glo had her choir concert this past Wednesday.  At the end of the concert, I ran into her choir director who said to me, "Glo was a STAR tonight", and indeed she was.

Sixth grade choir.  It's always nice to see the kids moving up the choir ranks.  I must admit that our choir directors pick some fun music and the concert is highly entertaining.  Too, unlike the high school choir concerts, the directors talk for a minimal amount of time, so the music becomes the focus of the concert.

You might notice that it's a bit strange, seeing Glo singing with the choir while holding her violin.  It's because she was preparing for bigger and better things!


Yes, Glo volunteered to play with a quartet that accompanied the choir.  Oh man, I was so incredibly proud of her.  She had practiced and practiced and even had the whole thing memorized.  It wasn't that it was hard to play at all (the entire thing was in first position), but it was her first real time of playing chamber music, AND playing chamber music in front of an audience.  We had talked all about stage presence beforehand (no quick bows, make eye contact with the audience, walk out slowly with shoulders back) and she did a great job keeping it all together.  I was so incredibly proud of her.  Too, with only four lessons under her belt from her new teacher, her violin is now held parallel to the ground and her bow is straight.  Yay for great teachers!

Finally, Glo played in the Tone Chime choir.  This is the coolest thing, and I'm proud to say that I got to play with them the year I invited them to play for our church's nativity program.  (Seriously, when my kids grow up and have kids of their own, I'm buying one of these sets, and it will be a Christmas tradition to play--they are seriously so fun and so beautiful!)  Johannah loved playing in this choir for the three years she was at the middle school, and I'm glad that Glo is continuing the tradition.  I must admit that she looks so small.  Not only is she one of two six graders that was allowed to join the choir, but she's the youngest sixth grader in her class.  Doesn't she look like a baby, even though she's tall for her age? :-)  I taped this during their rehearsal, because I don't like to tape actual performances (concert etiquette, and all...)  This is "Ding, Dong Merrily On High"--our middle school choir directors thankfully have no reservations about fitting in Christmas music during concerts.



2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Gloria!!! You are becoming quite the musician! I'd have to say the chime choir was one of my faves, but you did a great job in the quartet as well. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not able to go because I had a meeting but it sure was beautiful to hear all the music glo played and sang. She is a great little participant and musician, thanks Mommy for taping and blogging about the experience, so I could see it too!

    ReplyDelete