Monday, June 6, 2011

Mark's Ordination to Elder

Yesterday, Mark was ordained to be an elder.  He's headed off to Interlochen this summer and then Michigan in the fall.  As with Ethan, the bishops think it's a good idea to get the boys all taken care of before they head off on their adventures (and just in case they are actually needed to use their priesthood).

Unlike Ethan who was ordained with just a few people in the bishop's office, Mark was ordained during Priesthood opening exercises.  For once, I had absolutely nothing to do with any of this.  No helping with interview appointments, no asking men in advance.  I just sat down and waited.

The most amazing thing happened.  When all of the men who had been asked to participate came up, it must have been half the congregation.  John had told Mark to ask men to participate who meant something to him; men who had played a part in his life, or affected him in some way.  I was almost overcome with emotion to see how many men were important to Mark.  He chose current youth leaders, former youth leaders, neighbors, a man who had driven him to seminary for a year, members of the bishopric.  It was really something to see and very touching.

At this point, I must digress for a moment.  It's hard on my kids, rarely having family at important events.  Most of the time, it's just us--John, the kids and me.  Granted, I think this has made us closer through the years, but I have promised my kids that their kids will have the extended family support that they crave, at least from John and me.  However, seeing all those men go up, I realize that what we have lacked in family attendance, the Lord has made up for in influential people in my kids' lives.  They have never wanted for feelings of support and love from others, and I have been amazed to see how much others think of them in kind ways and deeds.  Not only has this happened within the church, but outside of the church as well.  When I think of high school teachers, there are several that come to mind who write Ethan on his mission.  When I think of our family adventures, I can't help but think of David and Mel who have treated our kids like gems.  What a blessing.  Really.

The ordination and blessing were indescribable.  As much as I wish I could remember every word, it was much more about the feeling.  While Ethan's blessings are frequently about us, his family, and about his future, Mark's blessings are always reflective and personally spiritual--both are beautiful in their own ways, but definitely unique, as they should be.

Mark's reflected his life so far, and what he has been told will happen in the future.  He has many gifts of the Spirit, and will be called upon to use those throughout his life.  Yesterday's blessing though was specifically about loving those people who are the lowest in society.  Like Jesus, Mark needs to reach out to those who need to be loved, but who are hard to love.  As an elder, he was told to live like Christ. John could actually hardly get through the blessing because the Spirit was so strong.

I couldn't help but remember Mark as a small boy.  We knew he had a soft heart when he was watching the movie "Mouse Trap."  In it, a mouse is running from some construction guys who are trying to kill the mouse with a nail gun (I know it sounds violent, but it IS actually a children's movie).  When the mouse escaped safely, Mark turned to us with tears in his eyes, so relieved for the poor creature.

Then, when he entered kindergarten, there was a boy in his class who had a disease where his bones would break very easily.  Imagine trying to navigate the world of kindergarten--recess, playground equipment, duck-duck-goose and such--while being "breakable".  Mrs. Caudill, Mark's teacher, couldn't help but comment on Mark's compassion for the boy.  He showed it by always making sure that the boy was safe and included in every activity possible.  At the time, I was completely unaware of Mark's actions until I was told about them, and my heart was touched by Mark's kindness.

Growing up, Mark has always been one to reach out to kids who don't quite fit in.  Although Mark is no jock, or "popular", he knows what it feels like to be on the fringe of teenage society (having had to fit in the German culture as an American), and he reaches out to kids who don't have friends.  Having always been a "gentle" person, he has been mocked and made fun of because of his innocence.  However, from that, he has developed a more tender heart and people love him because of it.

It was beautiful to see things come full circle.  Realizing the person that Mark already is, and being blessed to use those gifts to become something better.  It was a heavenly moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment