
Tonight, while dropping off Mark at his camp (very sneakily, I might add, because he's not supposed to be in a car), I spotted an Aussie. I couldn't believe it--an Australian Shepherd in Northern Michigan? I couldn't help but roll down the window and ask if the pup was indeed an Aussie. Yes, the owner replied. Would I like to come pet her? Would I like to come pet her? I couldn't turn off the car fast enough (and left in the middle of the road) to get out and touch that dog.
I could see the pup wasn't much more than that--a pup. She was pretty little, but she had a good disposition and a lovely, alert face. She was about the size of Cherry which I think made me like her all the more.
Her owner proceeded to push down on her rear-end to get her to sit. A bit bothered by this, I asked her if she would like me to show her how to teach Mozey to sit without needing a push. Afterall, I could see that the pup was smart. Within 30 seconds, the pup was sitting just with a hand command. I think the woman and her walking companions were rather impressed :-)
The woman kept worrying about Mozey running away because I wasn't holding onto her leash, but I knew she wouldn't--she's a Velcro dog.
Too, the woman insisted that Mozey didn't have the traditional Aussie coat of fur and that she wouldn't get it. Right. How old is the pup? Just over a year. I then had to explain that until the dog had gone through an entire year with four seasons, the pup wouldn't get a winter coat. The owner didn't look too happy about that.
She then asked me if I knew what to do about the dog jumping on her. Absolutely, I told her. She needed to put up her knee anytime the pup jumped. She said that she already did that. Then, as if on cue, the pup jumped straight up to the woman's face. What did the woman do? She leaned back to get out of the way. THAT I told her was the problem. Where was the knee? It was then that she admitted she didn't want to hurt the dog.
I wish I could have had a camera videotaping the whole thing. Cutie Mozey was demonstrating exactly what I warn all of our potential pup owners about. There are two options with Aussies--either you are in charge, or the pup is. It's our job as Aussie owners to take control, because if we don't, the pups lose their patience and take control themselves.
It was in this moment that I realized that maybe I know more about my breed of dog than I think I do. I truly love Aussies for all that they are.
Wow Mommy, that is so awesome! You are 100% the aussie trainer!
ReplyDeleteAhh the joys of hearing another story about how your dedication to work and insistence on proper manners of kids and pets! Mommy you really are amazing how you are just able to make people do what you want them to do. It must be something with who you are that makes people want to please you. It definitely has an impact on us kids at least(:
ReplyDeleteOne thing for sure, Mama is in charge with the pups, the kids, the husband, and we love her for it, we would be lost without her!
ReplyDelete