For all of you parents out there who are resisting learning to text, or getting texting for your kids, I am one of the few parents you will find who actually supports kids texting. Granted, my kids keep it under control and know that it's not appropriate at the dinner table, at church, or anytime we're having a conversation. Otherwise, we have a lot of fun with it, and I find it so useful. I can check in with the kids anytime during the day, and they can text me back in between classes at school. Sometimes when they are incredibly bored, they text me during a class (Ethan could do it under the desk without even looking at the keypad), but I naturally had to send him back a text, telling him to put away his phone and concentrate on what was being taught. Afterall, how many tens of thousands of dollars were we paying for him to go to college? :-)Anyway, the other day, Johannah wanted to attend the orientation meeting for Thespians at the high school. She was a bit nervous about it, so I told Mark to take her to it. He looked at me with a mixture of horror and the gag reflex.
Mark and Ethan had have a very interesting experience in Thespians at the high school. The director's name is Jill Campbell, and she believes in nepotism, taken to the extreme. If you use every know method of bootie-kissing and brown-nosing available, you will get a role in the upcoming production. In addition, if your parents volunteer to build sets, construct costumes and serve on her committee, you will get a lead role. If you do none of these things, good luck! Her son always has a lead role despite the fact that he is tone deaf and has no voice quality. Mark and Ethan? Always stuck in the chorus.
I hear too that she has a rather irritating voice. Of course, I only hear this from people who aren't the stars of the show. The stars only have the most wonderful things to say about her.
We've tried to let all of this go, and Johannah is going in with a fantastic attitude. She's willing to do whatever it takes to get a lead role someday in the next four years, including crew, stage management or head-servant-to-Jill. Plus, she has a bunch of friends that will also be participating, so she should be set.
I texted Mark after school, when I knew that he would be in the meeting. Here's the result of that conversation. I laughed my head off!
Me: So, are we having fun with Auntie Jill?
Mark: Oh you can’t imagine. Just being in the same room as her makes me go a little queasy in the stomach…
Me: Sorry. I can’t help but chuckle. What’s the musical for the spring?
Mark: I don’t know. I didn’t stay long enough to find out :-)
Me: Where the heck are you?
Mark: Having a wonderful time practicing in the practice rooms while Hannah hangs out with her friends doing thespiany things I wish not in the least to be a part of.
Leave it to Mark to leave comments, just dripping with sarcasm mixed in with a quote from Star Wars! A funny text indeed!
No comments:
Post a Comment