Monday, September 20, 2010

Bring it On!

After my cast was removed, I noticed something rather strange about my foot (there were actually many strange things, but this was the strangest). My foot turns in, so that if I were to walk on it, I would be walking on the outside of my foot. The PA who saw me didn't seem too concerned about it, and sent me on my way.

After trying for a week to walk in the boot, I was starting to get shooting pains across the top of the foot, up the outside of my calf and into my knee. I went back to using my scooter, because I was in so much pain. I called the therapist that had helped me work through my plantar fasciitis last year, and after hearing what I was describing, she got the doctor to write a referral so that I could come in and see her again.

Here's my foot before today:



Don't mind the blue color--that's normal and will probably continue for another year. I just elevate it, and it goes away. See how it's pronated in versus the healthy foot? It chronically turns that way due to a poor job of casting the foot. Try as I might, I can't get my foot to rest flat on the floor.

So, I showed up today, not knowing what to expect. My therapist concurred that something needed to be done, especially before I get my next surgery. She spent an hour stretching my foot in all directions. No joke, there were times I thought I was going to be sick. My mouth was dry, and I had to lay down. When she was done, I figured we were done too. Oh no, next came the exercises on the floor that I must do myself three times a day. Have you ever gotten up from the dentist's chair only to find that your entire body has been clenched the entire time? That's what it felt like after I finished those exercises.

Next came the cryobath and electric stimulation. I had a huge boot of fabric around my foot which was filled with ice water. It reminded me of the first (and only) Lamaze class I took where to simulate pain, John and I would grab fistfuls of ice and learn to breathe slowly. Well, it didn't work this time either. I just gritted my teeth and read the same sentence in my magazine over and over for 20 minutes.

And to think that I get to do this three times a week!

I must admit though that it worked. Afterwards, walking in my boot presented no pain, and I can actually feel my big toe resting on the floor of the boot when I walk. Woot! The only down side? I came home from therapy and was sick. I think it was quite a shock to my poor body.

Here's an "after" photo:



If I can see this much change after two hours, bring on the therapy, BABY!

3 comments:

  1. You are my hero! I would not be saying bring on the therapy after a session like that - I love your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! At least it is working. That's an amazing difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that no one but our family has really seen is the blue foot trick. Literally if Larisa puts her foot down, and lets it stay down without the boot, her foot turns blue like a blueberry and it looks honestly from a medical standpoint like it is dead. I am very happy when she has it up so it can be pretty and pink like normal.

    ReplyDelete