Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lunch, anyone?

Now that school is back in session, John and I are remembering what it's like to not have the kids with us 24/7. In fact, I had completely forgotten about one tradition until last week.

When John is on call, he gets the next day off. For instance, he'll work through the day (clinic, surgery, etc.), stay at the hospital through the night (with happy, about-to-deliver, pregnant women :-)), and then come home around 8 a.m. the next morning. We usually work around the house (mostly outside) through the morning, and actually work out (although I'm obviously not doing that right now...), and then John always takes me out to lunch. I so look forward to our lunch dates. Good food, good conversation, and no distractions.

For the past two weeks, we've headed off to Olive Garden. Not usually one of my favorite restaurants, but right now they have a pork milanese which is to die for! Sometimes we go out for pizza, sometimes downtown to Panera. Whatever we're feeling that day. If either of us has had a hard run, we're more likely to head to a steakhouse. Too, sometimes John's decisions are based on which restaurant has the best lemonade--nothing tastes better to him after a long run than lemonade. Or unlimited pineapple juice refills at Olive Garden :-)

Here's to another school year of lunches with my honey.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great tradition to me. I caught myself daydreaming about Silas' first day of kindergarten today. Whether Nate is available or not, I am taking myself out to lunch that day and definitely ordering some lemonade. Enjoy the school year!

    ReplyDelete