Sunday, October 10, 2010

Howdy y'all!


I was born in Texas, and I lived there until I was 13 years old. Although I do not have a Texan accent, there are definite words in my vocabulary that reflect my upbringing there.

Funny thing? I'm starting to hear those same words when my kids talk, and they have never even stepped foot in the Lone Star State!

The best example is "fer". I don't want to admit it, but I don't say "for", as in "What are you giving her for her birthday?" I say, "What are you giving her fer her birthday?" and I can hear both Mark and Glo saying it too. I almost want to correct them, like I do with grammar issues, but how in the world can I do that when I say it the exact same way?

The second most common accent problem? "Probably." I have never used three syllables in that word. Instead, I gloss over the word and it comes out "prolly". Mark is the worst offender (which makes sense because he's my biggest aural learner), but Johannah and Glo say it, and if I remember correctly, Ethan uses it all the time.

I'm glad that I can pass on not only my love of chicken fried steak, but a few speech remnants of my upbringing. Now if I could just get Mark to stop staying "bolth" like his Canadian accented daddy :-)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were born in Texas. My children were not born here, but it is the only state they have ever lived in, so they believe themselves to be true Texans...no matter how often I remind them otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is cool that the kids are getting a little of a canadian accent and a little of a texan accent, maybe they will even pick up a little Pennsylvanian.

    ReplyDelete