In September and October, I feel it in my blood. Every year since we lived in Dayton and I did my first Air Force marathon, I always get the marathon bug in June or July and plan on running in the AF marathon. Then, when I get done with it and the first week of walking pain subsides, I get the desire to run another because I am already in shape. Often I just let the second one pass because I do not like to drive so far away to run a marathon somewhere else, but for some years, I find a cool one and do it within a month or two of the AF marathon.
Last year I ran the Richmond, Virginia marathon in November. One year I ran the Dublin marathon on October 31 in Ireland. One year I did the Indianapolis marathon. So on my birthday, Sept 18th I ran the AF marathon in Dayton and did a 3:51 and felt pretty good. I had trained, but not as hard as last year and did about the same time so I was happy. I was thinking about running the Richmond again but did not want to drive 6 hours away. II was looking online and I found the Baltimore marathon on October 16 and it is only 3 hours away. So I signed up and am going to do it.
I had done a half marathon near here last year in October, and while I was looking up the Richmond marathon, I looked up the Hollidaysburg Half marathon and it was on Saturday. Since I was going to run about 10 miles anyway and it is more fun to run with other people and compete for a time, I decided on Thursday to run the half marathon on Saturday and I did it. It went well. I was tired but I did it in 1:41 and got a medal and a t shirt. Hooray!
The AF marathon medal is so cool! No other medals compete but it is doing the race that counts the most. I had a good time and still have one more moment of marathoning glory left for the year. I am just very thankful I can still run and I can do a half marathon on a moment's notice. Wish me luck and say a prayer because as much as I like to do them, it is still very painful at the end. You can actually see my pictures if you look up brightroom photograpy and look up my name under AF marathon 2010. There is also a video clip of my finish although a guys big head is in the way and at the last second another guy runs by me and gets in the way of my video moment. Oh well. Here's to a good marathon season.
You are absolutely amazing, my honey. Choosing to run another marathon because you are already in shape? A little bit crazy too perhaps, but I know you love it. Pretty soon we're not going to have enough room on our wall to hang all of your medals :-)
ReplyDelete