| Glo's scriptures |
Well, today Glo was asked to give a talk in Primary. With me in Chicago, and not wanting to do her practicing (grrr....), she sat down and wrote it. By herself. When I showed up for Primary today, I was a bit nervous, not knowing how long it would be, or what she would say. The topic was "I know the scriptures are true." Here's her talk (again, written by herself):
My talk is on how I know the scriptures are true. The scriptures are also called the Word of God. They are called the word of God because the prophets wrote them. The scriptures are kind of like a testimony of the prophets, as they journeyed through their lives. We just learned a song in Primary from Sister Hocker. In that song, one of the lines says "the iron rod is the Word of God." We should hold fast to the iron rod and read the scriptures. We can gain a testimony and turn to Heavenly Father from reading the scriptures because those words are true.
The scriptures are the iron rod, and if we hold steadfast to that rod, we will make it to Heavenly Father. 1 Nephi 19: 23 says,
"And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might fully persuade them to believe in the Lord, their Redeemer, I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah for I did liken all scriptures unto us that it might be for our profit and learning."
The scriptures are true because the scriptures are part of our life, and we can read them for our learning and profit. Also in chapter 8 of 1 Nephi it reads,
"And I beheld a rod of iron, and it extended along the bank of the river, and led to the tree by which I stood.
And I also beheld a strait and narrow path, which came along by the rod of iron, even to the tree by which I stood; and it also led by the head of the fountain, unto a large and spacious field, as if it had been a world.
And I saw numberless concourses of people, many of whom were pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree by which I stood.
And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree."
The pressing darkness is like Satan and the scriptures are the iron rod. Without the scriptures, or word of God, we cannot come back to Heavenly Father. This is how I know the scriptures are true.
In the past few weeks, my mom and I have been reading the scriptures together. In some parts, the prophets talk about things that have happened like when Columbus sailed to the new world. This is just more proof that the scriptures are true.
I bear my testimony that without the scriptures, we cannot get through life and back to Heavenly Father. The scriptures are part of the plan, and they are true. Heavenly Father created them. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
From Sister Nielson:
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing this experience with me. there are many family members of our missionaries and many members in poland who are reading along with us. tremendous things are happening in this mission. my husband and i think that with everyone 'on the same page' so to speak in the book of mormon that our mission is really being blessed. our missionaries are teaching better, they are finding with the spirit and able to discern more, they are testifying with short statements of truth to find those who are ready for the gospel. there is an energy in this mission---members and missionaries---that we have not felt. i am so glad that gloria is enjoying reading the book of mormon along with her brother, elder kennedy. please thank her for her part in blessing the poland warsaw mission!
this church is true and i am glad to be a small part of bringing the gospel to all heavenly father's children. elder kennedy is doing fabulous and is truly an asset to our mission. again......thank you for raising a fine son, one that was ready to serve the lord. he is making a difference in poland. love, sister nielson