Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day Recap

We all had such a nice Valentine’s Day yesterday.  I can't resist recording the memories.

1.  During the night, John headed out and painted a huge pink heart in the snow.  I saw it first thing in the morning out the bathroom window :-)

2.  Mark told me that he had signed up to help with singing Valentines at the high school.  Knowing that Johannah would get nothing from anyone at school (and remembering what an awful feeling that is), I sent Mark off with $3 for a singing Valentine for her.  I told him to do whatever it would take to sing to Hannah.  Mark made good on the task (thank goodness).  I got a text from Hannah around 12:30 telling me all about it.  Turns out, a big old group of older boys (Hannah was sure to point that out) circled around her, and with Mark singing the solo, they sang “My Girl” to her.  I guess on the 3rd “My Girl”, he would always change the words to “My Sister”  :-)  Mark was sure to tell me that she turned beet red, “just like Ethan used to”.  Hannah said she had never been so embarrassed in her life, but she loved every minute of it.  As they were singing the song the rest of the day, I couldn't help but remember Uncle Mike (and the rest of his brothers) lip-synching it to Katrina at their wedding reception


3.  John and I had plans to head out for dinner, but the weather here was just awful.  With three of the family members either on diets, or on a diet study, we have all been craving pizza.  So, John offered to pick it up on the way home.  Leave it to John to notice that Papa John's had a leftover thin-crust, heart-shaped, pepperoni pizza that somebody hadn’t wanted because it was thin-crust, so he brought it home.  He took great delight in opening it for us and saying, “Nothing says love better than a heart-shaped pizza.”
  We watched Hitch while eating it—such a cute movie, and one of our favorites.

4.  Then, Mark tells me that he’s thinking about taking flowers over to Anna Gilpatrick.  (Anna Gilpatrick is Mark's stand partner in band, and he's had a crush on her since the beginning of the year.) What???  It was 8:00 by this point, and he wasn’t sure that he could find her address.  Thankfully, there was only one “Gilpatrick” in the phone book, so he headed out.  When he came home, he didn’t have much to say.  When I finally pressed him about it, he told me that he left the flowers on her doorstep and watched her mom take them in.  I asked him if he left his name on them, or anything.  Nope.  While he’s talking to me, his phone rings.  He holds up the number and asks me if I know who it is.  I look at him and say, “Who do you think it is?”  He didn’t believe me, but answered it anyway.  Judging by the smile on his face and how he left the room, I knew it was Anna.  He was on the phone until midnight.  So cute!

5.  Glo got two carnations from two of her friends, but she was ruing the fact that middle school students don’t give out classroom valentines.  She wanted the candy!  Mark and Hannah both agreed with her on continuing the Valentine plan.

6.  Ethan couldn’t have made Anna’s day any better than with the email he sent home.  She’s now planning on coming to Poland with us, and we couldn’t be happier!

2 comments:

  1. What a good, good day of lovin' for all... Seriously though, I'm so excited for the trip back to Poland!

    ReplyDelete