Sunday, July 3, 2011
Notoriety
I like to make the joke that I am nobody unless I am related to somebody else. Know what I'm talking about?
Growing up, I was one of two people. Either "Dr. Caruthers' daughter", or "Virginia Apgar's niece". I must admit, making the connection to my mom brought benefits. Mostly, I could have free pop at the health clinic, or get a file clerk job at my mom's workplace. I firmly believe being related to Virginia Apgar (the developer of the APGAR score given to newborn babies) got me into Mount Holyoke College, an elite women's college in Massachusetts, because Virginia was one of their most famous alumnas.
Then, after getting married, I became "Dr. Kennedy's wife". In fact, while attending orientation here at Interlochen in the Health Services department, I continuously tried to introduce myself as "Larisa from State College, Pennsylvania", but the nurse manager would follow-up my introduction with "this is Dr. Kennedy's wife". I finally gave up and just introduced myself that way: "Hi, I'm Dr. Kennedy's wife."
You can imagine also as John has held many church leadership positions, I have been either "the bishop's wife", or "President Kennedy's wife". It's all good--it keeps me on my toes, knowing people are watching the kids and me and our behavior!
Too, I have come to appreciate how well-known both Ethan (still from working here as a counselor for one single, solitary year) and Mark are here at Interlochen. In fact, I tried to introduce myself to one of the kids the other day, and he just looked at me with a blank stare. I then asked him, "Do you know Mark Kennedy?" and his eyes lit up. All of a sudden, he was interested in talking to me.
To soothe my soul, Mark insists that he too feels some of this. At HOBY and here at Interlochen, random kids walk up to Mark and say, "Hey, are you Ethan Kennedy's brother?", or "Did you have a brother who was a counselor here?" I like to remind Mark that Ethan gets the same thing: "Are you Mark's brother?" SMILE!
It's hard sometimes, having nothing to my name. If I Google me, I'm only connected to genealogy websites. No books published, no jobs filled, no concerti played, nothing. However, I do wish there was something about me that people would remember when I am gone that has nothing to do with anyone else. Have I changed the world in anyway? Have I made it better?
In no way do I mean to sound full of self-pity. I made the choice to do what I do--I support others with everything that I am, and I have loved it. I find great pride in being related to the people who are famous in my life--they have done amazing things, and I hope that I have been a small part of their success. Mark calls me his "perfecto mama". I can't help but think of the women who came before me. When I find their tombstones, worn and in the middle of some grassy field, or village, the inscription frequently reads "Beloved Wife and Mother". I guess, if nothing else, that's the best honor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What notoriety larisa feels like she does not have in the world she makes up for as the center and heart of our home
ReplyDelete