It all hit me the other day when I was checking out from my physical therapy appointment. Yes, I finally broke down and headed to the therapist for my foot. Not being able to walk for 3 months now is taking its toll on my daily well-being (in other words, I EXTREMELY DISLIKE not being able to function) so I figured it wasn't going to go away on its own. I digress...
I'm waiting in line, and the receptionist is having some issue with the people who are checking out in front of me. Lots of phone calls and questions to other receptionists. Having been a receptionist in health care, I had a good idea what was happening. Medical Access issues. Yes, I guess the stigma of being on Medicaid was too much for some people, so the government changed the name to Medical Access (like that changes anything). I well remember how difficult it was to ever get approval for anything with Medicaid, and the forms to fill out! Every receptionist dreads Medical Access.
As I sat there waiting, I pondered my situation. I go to therapy three times a week. Each time I go, I pay a $25 co-pay which adds up to $75/week or $300/month. In addition, John's work provides insurance for our family, but we still have a $2,500 deductible, and because John is a partner, he is essentially paying for his own insurance (it comes out of any money he might make). To add salt to the wound, my taxes are paying for the two people in front of me to see the physician. They get to walk in for free, see the same physician I see and receive the same care, but I pay for not only me to get medical care, but I pay for them too.
I recognize that from a Christian standpoint this isn't a very Christian-like way of looking at things. Certainly I have so much more than those two people on Medicaid. My life is probably easier and most definitely better. However, John and I worked our BUTTS off to get where we are today. And to think that we are essentially penalized for working, studying and having more money.
Just a thought...
Whoa! My suggestion is to go to one of the anti-Obama, Tea-patriots or Sarah Palin blogs and voice your opinion. You will feel right at home. I wrote a long commentary to your comments and decided not to post it. In America, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
ReplyDeleteM
Hey man, my donkey blood still runs blue! And honestly, Ethan and I stood in line to hear Arlen Specter, thinking that it would be a fantastic opportunity to actually hear my senator and his thoughts. However, all those tea-party freaks took up all the seats (and denied Ethan and me one) and then just name-called and fulfilled their freakazoid status.
ReplyDeleteYou write all commentaries that you want. I'm sure Ethan would especially appreciate reading it. One thing I CAN do is listen to other people's opinions! I may not agree, but I'm VERY interested.