For me, Daddy has consistently set an example of helping people who are in need, particularly when they are off the road. I can still remember clearly the day that Johannah and I had stayed with the Drapers the night before, and Daddy had come to pick us up. We both saw a red car off in the ditch, but I didn’t say anything. Daddy, being the great person that he is, turned around and stopped to help.
It quickly became apparent that this was more than your average car breakdown. The front end was smashed in, and the engine was smoking. The driver was unconscious, and the girl he had been driving with had been thrown from the vehicle. After we had stopped, more and more people began to pull off and help. I remember a German man with grey hair and his wife running as fast as they could down the ditch with a fire extinguisher, risking themselves to put out the smoke emanating from the engine. Daddy, being the doctor that he is, quickly took charge, giving CPR with the woman, and helping to check for injuries.
The minutes turned into an hour, and it was evident that we were going to be here a while. Even though the police, an ambulance, and a fire truck had arrived, Daddy still stayed, because he had been the first person there. This was an example to me that even though we don’t always want to, just stopping off to the side of the road is important, because we don’t know what the situation might be.
Thanks for sharing, Cheese.
ReplyDeleteThanks for having a good memory of me Cheese. I appreciate you rembering this. Love, Daddy
ReplyDelete