Yep, it happened, and we couldn't be happier! Ethan went through the temple yesterday for his own endowments. It was such a happy, wonderful, spiritual, wonderful day, and honestly, words just can't capture all of the glorious feelings (but I'll give it a go).
The date had been set for about a month. Trying to find a day where Ethan doesn't have class, John doesn't have work, and I don't have any obligations, and it's not a Saturday, was just about impossible, but the planets aligned themselves, and we found Wednesday, April 21. We also invited a couple that has become Ethan's adopted aunt and uncle, Glen and Katherine Kreiner (now affectionately known as Uncle Glen and Aunt Kathy). Unbelievably, Glen was able to clear his schedule at work for the day too.
Many of us had been praying in advance that the day would go smoothly, but as most people who have ever tried to attend the temple know, it just doesn't happen. John and I had the morning from you-know-where, and from what I hear, it was mad chaos in the Kreiner household too. However, as soon as everybody's kids were on the bus, we headed off in the four-person Honda Element.
Seriously, there's nothing to pass the time faster on a long drive than great conversation, and for us, it was non-stop. The miles and minutes ticked by, until finally we were at American. Probably one of the funniest moments of conversation was to hear John describe Ethan's school's cafeteria, down to the last piece of lettuce. I guess that's what happens when one is on a diet study and can't eat any food from the pie bar, or the salad bar, or the pizza bar, or the deli bar, or the "comfort food" bar, or .... wait a minute ..... give me a minute to compose myself ....
We headed into the cafeteria to get platefuls of food (and to use some of Ethan's last swipes), and then headed to the temple. The traffic wasn't bad, and the rain wasn't too hard, and the five of us weren't even too cramped in our four-person vehicle :-)
Who knew that the temple president would be Earl C. Tingey of the Seventy? Not me, for sure, but in he walked and spoke with Ethan for about half an hour. Since Ethan was the only live endowment, and since we were some of the only patrons in the temple, it was such a quiet, peaceful time. Every worker that I met asked if Ethan was my son, and I was SO, SO, SO proud to say "yes", and to answer their next question of where he was going on his mission.
Then, when we walked into the endowment room, there were the Kreiners, all smiles and sitting up front as the witness couple. I couldn't have asked for everything to work out better. There was a moment during the endowment when both Katharine and I touched Ethan at the same time and felt the same thing--power. I was in tears and couldn't even speak, and Katharine was in tears afterwards, telling me about it. Tissue #2.
Then, in the celestial room, I was overwhelmed with the thoughts and understanding that Ethan already had about the endowment. As he shared them with us, I couldn't help but reflect on how worthy Ethan was to enter the temple. He (and we) have had so many moments over his lifetime where there is a last minute rush to finish something (Eagle, Duty to God, SAT prep, college applications), but this was different. Ethan had been living his life in preparation for this moment throughout his life--making good choices, being honest, keeping the commandments. No last minute rush to correct wrongs, but instead he entered the temple completely worthy and prepared. The temple recorder had made the point that by being worthy to enter the temple, Ethan was honoring us as it says in the 10 commandments. Indeed, both of us felt completely honored watching him complete this step in his progression towards his own salvation. Tissue #3.
It was sad for me to drop off Ethan at school again, and a couple of hours later he called me. It was a strange feeling for him to just go back to school and back to studying for his Economics test and back to playing video games. He knew that something of such greater significance had happened that day and there was no way to share it with his friends. Tissue #4.
On a side note, I want to write about the significance our friends have had in our lives over the years. John and I are both so grateful for the people who have loved our kids, like family. These people have attended important events in their lives and made the kids feel special. Whether it be the Morans at an Eagle ceremony, or the Kreiners at the temple, it means so much to me. I was so grateful for the Kreiners that they felt it was important enough to come, especially considering how busy they are.
It was truly a day to remember. One down, three more to go!
I love you Mommy. I never know what to say whenever I comment on your beautiful posts, because whatever I say always seems so inadequate. I'm so grateful that I was able to go through the temple with you guys, and I'm so grateful for the Kreiners who came (now known as Uncle Glen and Aunt Kathy :-)) It was an absolutely amazing experience, and kind of surreal to think about looking back at it now. However, I'm so happy that I went, and for the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing day! That is wonderful! And our favorite temple too. Ethan, you make all of the Kennedys proud and set such a good example for all the cousins!
ReplyDeleteCould someone please pass a tissue? I'm crying over here just reading this. Way to go Ethan, you're such an amazing man and a wonderful example to all the people who are lucky enough to know you.
ReplyDeleteEthan,
ReplyDeleteWonderful. Thanks for being such an amazing person. We look forward to seeing you and your family soon!
Wow, that was so cool to read. What an amazing, unforgettable day. I'm glad you could share it with such good friends, too. Ethan is stellar and he has amazing parents. I love that first pic with the temple further in the background. It's perfect.
ReplyDeleteP.S. When the heck did Ethan grow to be 6' 4". I was shocked!
ReplyDeleteDear Cheese, you are a great person and Mommy and I are so happy to have the privilege of raising such a great spirit as you. Thanks for being such a good person. We love you!
ReplyDelete