Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Tribute to Jake

We love our animals, obviously. Our oldest cat is Jake, a very dark tabby. We got him in Germany back in 2003. John felt like every little girl should have a kitty and Jake fit the bill to a certain point. I don't think any of us think of him as a sweet, gentle KITTY, but instead view him as the ultimate MAN CAT!!

Jake has provided us with many laughs over the years. In Germany, he once protected our house from a very big dog--it was hilarious and AWESOME at the same time. When we first moved to Pennsylvania, we saw him playing "mouse baseball" out in the fields. He loves to leave us mouse offerings on the back door mat. In fact, I'm laughing out loud even as I write, thinking of the fact that the kids used to have an actual chore of shoveling the dead mouse and throwing it out in the field across the street in Germany. Our neighbor told us that he has gotten rid of all of her moles in her backyard. Yes, he IS a killer, but he's also a lover--sometimes too much so. Every morning, he's all over our bathroom counters, meowing at us and getting in our way, trying to get loves. He's so happy at the moment to be around us that he purrs and stretches out his paws to us (we call it "big paws"). This can be frustrating when trying to get ready, especially when putting in contacts and getting shoved on the elbow by his big head! He loves to lay in the sun and especially loves to get his back scratched. He has some kind of shangri-la radar that let's him know the moment the door to my bedroom opens--he runs in from wherever he is in the house, and depending on my mood, I either let him stay or chase him out (this naturally involves getting him out from underneath the bed--he can sense my anger!) His favorite perch? On the top of our kitchen cabinets (watching him actually get up there is amazing and painful at the same time).


He has used up most of his nine lives. His back is permanently messed up because he got stuck in one of our German windows (trying to climb in through a hole in the screen through a second-floor window) and had to undergo cat physical therapy for a while. His tail was broken and now looks funny. The other day, he came home limping, probably from jumping down from somewhere too high.

Over the last few weeks, Jake has been showing a bit of his age. While he loves to be petted and is the friendliest thing to anybody, he has never been a lap cat. We have tried and tried, but he much prefers that you come to him, rather than him coming to you. This is changing though. Now, when we are watching TV late at night, he crawls up and lays down next to us. Unlike Scoutie who lays on top of us and drools, and unlike Ranger who loves to sink his claws into our shoulders when we hold him, Jake is just chill. Thinking about it, in cat years, he's in between John and me in age. Maybe, he too is recognizing the pains of getting older and is learning to value sitting on the couch at the end of the night and watching a good TV show. Doesn't he look like he's smiling?

6 comments:

  1. Haha my favorite memory of Jake is during sophomore year, when I would get ready for school. I'd go and take my shower, and while I was getting ready for the day Jake would come in and be the cute nuisance that he can be at 6:30 in the morning. Then, I'd go down and eat cereal, and Jake would join me by sitting on the table and watching me eat. Then, the SECOND I finished the cereal and was drinking the milk, he would walk up and hit the bottom of the bowl with the head, spilling milk on me! This was his way of saying: "Hey, I've been waiting patiently for that milk, give ME some!" He is SUCH a great cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your comment reminds me too that if you don't give him the attention he wants in the morning, he resorts to desperate measures and bites the toes! I'm not sure the attention that he gets after doing that is exactly what he is looking for, but at least we pay attention to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Jake's life is a testament to prayer, remember when he got stuck in the window and we prayed for days for him to be able to recover and he did. I think that makes him a miracle cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right. He's a cat of many names. Jake. Jakey. Jakey-boy. "Oh, no, don't you dare go in there" cat. "Stop biting my toes!" cat. Man cat. Miracle cat.

    A cat by any other name wouldn't be as sweet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think the whole biting of toes thing is an attempt to get you to pet him with your feet. If your hands are busy, your feet can just as easily run down his back, giving him the love he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake, he is my friend cat. At night he comes in and sits next to me and derives warmth from leaning up against my leg.

    ReplyDelete