Um, "personal and private" reasons? What does that even mean in relation to gum chewing? Did someone have a terrible gum chewing related family tragedy? But, if your bishop asked, I guess that means no more gum!
Such an interesting question! Let me see if I can walk this very fine line.
Our bishop is a good bishop. I think both Ethan and Mark can attest to the fact that he gives good lessons in Priests' Quorum, and he has great spirituality. He just has a few eccentricities too!
A couple of months ago, sacrament meeting had started, and he got up to speak to us about reverence AGAIN. I already do what he has asked me to do by playing the organ literally as quietly as it will play, but I don't think anybody can hear it anymore :-) Well, the reverence level was still negligible, so he marched the entire congregation out of the chapel. He then had us come back in more reverently. It worked for a couple of weeks, but I think our levels are escalating again.
His wife suffers from severe bi-polar disorder, and honestly, their poor family is ruled by her mental illness. Frequently, rules that he makes in church are driven by his thoughts for his family. We can have a Christmas program, but no rehearsals are to be held (too much a strain on the family). If there is a stake youth activity during a week, no ward activities are to be held that week (again, too much for the family to do).
Our bishop has chastised us repeatedly for not keeping the church clean. If this had to do with cleanliness, I don't think he'd have any problem telling us that. I suspect this edict again has to do with his family. I'm guessing that his family doesn't chew gum on Sunday, and it hurts his younger children's feelings to see other kids with it.
This brings up an interesting problem that I have seen time and time again in the school system. To what extent do you stand up for your own feelings and beliefs? For example, there were 2 children in Johannah's elementary school who were Jehovah's Witnesses. Because of their beliefs, no holidays could ever be celebrated at school. No Halloween parties, no holiday parties, no parties of any kind. The flag couldn't even be flown. Is that fair?
When Johannah's class was reinacting scenes from the Boston Tea party, tea was going to be served. Instead of demanding that it not be served because of our beliefs, I simply asked if Johannah could bring in apple juice. No problem and no kibash on the plans of the party.
I think it's a balancing act to act for the good of the group and to be sensitive to the needs of the individual. I think our bishop is still working on that ;-)
On a personal note, I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I chew gum every Sunday in Primary because my voice simply can't sing that long without being trashed at the end. Our Primary president knows this and told me that she would give me a "hall pass" to chew gum anyway. :-)
We have a family in our ward that doesn't eat sugar. The father has repeatedly asked that no sugar be served at any activities, and that the "grandparents" of the ward be asked not to hand out candy. Of course, when he was told that HE could be the one to tell that to the grandparents, he had a change of heart.
I think it's important to remember to not make a mountain out of a molehill. If it's important to that family not to eat sugar, the children should be able to make that decision at any activity. I'm sure Ethan could speak up and tell us about all the things that happen around him that don't mesh with his values, but he chooses to keep the standards that are important to him.
Okay, wow. I wonder how long no gum chewing will last? No sugar at activities because we don't eat sugar? That is, um, interesting. To each his own I guess. Obviously I am having a hard time with that one-we don't do it so no one else can either. Well, anyway. This reminds me of when our building in Midland was remodeled and they started announcing no food in church, including sacrament meeting. Now, at the time we had 4 young kids and Mike was regularly working on Sunday so I had to figure that they would rather have me there with snacks for my kids than not there. Soon they started changing it from no snacks to no juice and no rasisins. But, I have never heard no gum. Good luck with this.
You bring up a funny memory. When we first moved to Germany, there was a terrible ant problem in the chapel. Naturally, food was banned, and I was in the same situation as you. John serving in the bishopric (and hence on the stand each week) with four kids (granted, Ethan and Mark didn't need snacks). I would literally feed the girls one Cheerio at a time. Once, one slipped by and OF COURSE somebody stepped on it. I remember kneeling on the floor, picking up every single microscopic crumb there was, worrying the entire time about looking up and finding the bishop discovering my "sin". Bishop Dudley was NOT to be messed with! :-)
Well, since I am really procrastinating finishing our taxes I will comment again. Larisa, your comment reminds me of one time we were sitting in the front side row of the chapel and all of a sudden, this is NO JOKE, a mouse ran along the floor right next to the wall and onto the stand. It was way spooky for a mouse-a-phobe like myself. It was way funny watching the people on the stand discover the mouse running by their feet (you could tell by their faces). And, I hated to ever leave my bag on the floor for quite a long time. No sleeping that sacrament meeting!
I know there were some other mice running around the curtain between the overflow and the chapel. I kind of think the exterminators came in because there have been no signs for years.
My guess is because kids could get it in the carpet? I know that is why playdough isn't allowed anymore at least! :)
ReplyDeleteUm, "personal and private" reasons? What does that even mean in relation to gum chewing? Did someone have a terrible gum chewing related family tragedy? But, if your bishop asked, I guess that means no more gum!
ReplyDeleteSuch an interesting question! Let me see if I can walk this very fine line.
ReplyDeleteOur bishop is a good bishop. I think both Ethan and Mark can attest to the fact that he gives good lessons in Priests' Quorum, and he has great spirituality. He just has a few eccentricities too!
A couple of months ago, sacrament meeting had started, and he got up to speak to us about reverence AGAIN. I already do what he has asked me to do by playing the organ literally as quietly as it will play, but I don't think anybody can hear it anymore :-) Well, the reverence level was still negligible, so he marched the entire congregation out of the chapel. He then had us come back in more reverently. It worked for a couple of weeks, but I think our levels are escalating again.
His wife suffers from severe bi-polar disorder, and honestly, their poor family is ruled by her mental illness. Frequently, rules that he makes in church are driven by his thoughts for his family. We can have a Christmas program, but no rehearsals are to be held (too much a strain on the family). If there is a stake youth activity during a week, no ward activities are to be held that week (again, too much for the family to do).
Our bishop has chastised us repeatedly for not keeping the church clean. If this had to do with cleanliness, I don't think he'd have any problem telling us that. I suspect this edict again has to do with his family. I'm guessing that his family doesn't chew gum on Sunday, and it hurts his younger children's feelings to see other kids with it.
This brings up an interesting problem that I have seen time and time again in the school system. To what extent do you stand up for your own feelings and beliefs? For example, there were 2 children in Johannah's elementary school who were Jehovah's Witnesses. Because of their beliefs, no holidays could ever be celebrated at school. No Halloween parties, no holiday parties, no parties of any kind. The flag couldn't even be flown. Is that fair?
When Johannah's class was reinacting scenes from the Boston Tea party, tea was going to be served. Instead of demanding that it not be served because of our beliefs, I simply asked if Johannah could bring in apple juice. No problem and no kibash on the plans of the party.
I think it's a balancing act to act for the good of the group and to be sensitive to the needs of the individual. I think our bishop is still working on that ;-)
On a personal note, I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I chew gum every Sunday in Primary because my voice simply can't sing that long without being trashed at the end. Our Primary president knows this and told me that she would give me a "hall pass" to chew gum anyway. :-)
Sorry. Just one more thought.
ReplyDeleteWe have a family in our ward that doesn't eat sugar. The father has repeatedly asked that no sugar be served at any activities, and that the "grandparents" of the ward be asked not to hand out candy. Of course, when he was told that HE could be the one to tell that to the grandparents, he had a change of heart.
I think it's important to remember to not make a mountain out of a molehill. If it's important to that family not to eat sugar, the children should be able to make that decision at any activity. I'm sure Ethan could speak up and tell us about all the things that happen around him that don't mesh with his values, but he chooses to keep the standards that are important to him.
Enough said, from me!
Okay, wow. I wonder how long no gum chewing will last? No sugar at activities because we don't eat sugar? That is, um, interesting. To each his own I guess. Obviously I am having a hard time with that one-we don't do it so no one else can either. Well, anyway. This reminds me of when our building in Midland was remodeled and they started announcing no food in church, including sacrament meeting. Now, at the time we had 4 young kids and Mike was regularly working on Sunday so I had to figure that they would rather have me there with snacks for my kids than not there. Soon they started changing it from no snacks to no juice and no rasisins. But, I have never heard no gum. Good luck with this.
ReplyDeleteKatrina
Katrina,
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a funny memory. When we first moved to Germany, there was a terrible ant problem in the chapel. Naturally, food was banned, and I was in the same situation as you. John serving in the bishopric (and hence on the stand each week) with four kids (granted, Ethan and Mark didn't need snacks). I would literally feed the girls one Cheerio at a time. Once, one slipped by and OF COURSE somebody stepped on it. I remember kneeling on the floor, picking up every single microscopic crumb there was, worrying the entire time about looking up and finding the bishop discovering my "sin". Bishop Dudley was NOT to be messed with! :-)
Thanks so much for all of your comments everyone! I'm glad to finally find out the actual reasons for chewing gum not being allowed in church.
ReplyDeleteWell, since I am really procrastinating finishing our taxes I will comment again. Larisa, your comment reminds me of one time we were sitting in the front side row of the chapel and all of a sudden, this is NO JOKE, a mouse ran along the floor right next to the wall and onto the stand. It was way spooky for a mouse-a-phobe like myself. It was way funny watching the people on the stand discover the mouse running by their feet (you could tell by their faces). And, I hated to ever leave my bag on the floor for quite a long time. No sleeping that sacrament meeting!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! Did anyone CATCH the mouse? Or, was it allowed to live in peace to see another day?
ReplyDeleteI know there were some other mice running around the curtain between the overflow and the chapel. I kind of think the exterminators came in because there have been no signs for years.
ReplyDelete