Anybody remember exactly what a springboard is? It's the flexible board, projecting over water, from which divers leap or spring (courtesy of dictionary.com). I'm sure you've seen them--the diver walks out to the end of the board, takes a huge jump on the end, and the board literally propels them high into the air (the opposite of the standing platform). Naturally, they are found at pools, and occasionally someone comes along that can do some pretty sweet tricks off of them.

Another definition of a springboard rings truer to my heart: something that supplies the impetus or conditions for a beginning, change, or progress; a point of departure.
I believe that I am a human springboard in that my life is basically one where I am helping others progress. Look at my children. I gave up everything so that I could have them. They use my time, resources and support to launch themselves into bigger and better experiences. Yes, they all hated practicing growing up (and some that haven't grown up still do), but look at the opportunities they are afforded now and the glory they are receiving for their hard work. The whole six years spent in Germany? It has propelled Ethan into his future employment. Recognizing that Johannah is going to struggle with her weight her entire life (darn those genetics), I signed her up for our health club and we go workout together. Even John has moved into an amazing career and has wonderful opportunities in the church due (in part) to the support that I offered him through medical school and residency and offer now, not being able to hold a big calling due to his. I hold down the fort for everyone--driving everybody where they need to be, washing clothes, cooking, shopping, cleaning, making appointments, providing spiritual experiences, athletic experiences, experiences that my kids will remember for a lifetime.
I mean none of this as a "glory me" moment. Just as people in the workforce talk about their jobs, this is me, talking about mine. I must admit though that sometimes it's hard to see everyone launching off me while I stay back, cemented into the deck of the pool. I do everything I can to find meaning in what I do, and I wouldn't change anything that I have done, or any decisions that I have. I find other things to do that I enjoy, but there is no glory, or recognition, or obvious honor in any of it. It can be hard at times, always being the support. I relish the thought of someone offering to help me make more of myself. I think it would be nice, occasionally, to jump off the end of someone else's springboard and see where I could go.
This is interesting to me because I feel the same way sometimes. It's not that I don't love being the person who is here to keep things together and make sure life is moving in the right direction; in fact I really do love that. But sometimes I feel lost in all of that work. Just yesterday Jared asked me what my wishes and dreams are, what I want to do with my life when it's not so full of kids and stuff. All I could say was ummm, I don't know. For so long I've been focusing on everyone else, it will be neat to see what I can do.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sarah, for the empathetic, listening ear. Knowing you, you probably feel it even more than me because I know you give and give and give. After I posted today, I was thinking about the few situations where I feel like somebody has really helped me, and you were at the top of the list. Remember when I was called as YW President in Bitburg? I remember that even before the first weekly activity, you called me and told me to just bring Glo and Hannah by every Wednesday night, and you would take care of them for me. I remember how extremely thankful I was for that offer--I didn't have to ask, I didn't have to make arrangements, I didn't have to pay anybody, I didn't need to worry. You basically said, "Here, let me take some burden off of your shoulders so that you can take care of some other important (but older) girls." Typical, loving Sarah, is all I can say.
ReplyDeleteWhat say we come up with a dream together, and live it when the kids are gone? :-)
That sounds good to me. You just have to come up with the dream and tell me what to do; I'd love to follow in your footsteps!
ReplyDeleteWell, I have to say, you two are awesome people, and I sure do not feel like either of you are just there to help others get ahead. I would say that both of you in your families are actually the lynch pin of the entire operation. I always say that Mommy Aris is the "agent" for her kids, meaning she makes it happen for them. I would say that Sarah has a similar role in her family. You guys may not know it but you are the ones who make it happen. If you want to go along with Aris's analogy of a springboard, what is the diver without a springboard, a "faller". I would say that both of you would have families of "fallers" if it was not for you. I have to say, that if it was not for both of you in your respective families both of them - the families would be in big trouble. I know personally without Aris, I would be disorganized, sad, lonely and my children would be sitting on the couch with me watching TV - most likely SyFy. As it is we have a college student who got a half tuition scholarship who is going to Poland on his mission, we have a roller skating, yo-yoing, french horn expert getting good grades, we have an accomplished viola playing singer who is super self motivated and gets great grades and we have a cute, violin playing, singing reader who is awesome. And then there is me. Thanks Aris, Thanks Sarah for your family, you guys are awesome and I am sorry you guys feel like everyone goes forward because of you, but I would say we go forward only with the management you provide, so I would say you are family managers working with the cogs in the family wheels. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI think every mother feels the same way you do Larisa. I often refer to myself as TK's administrative assistant but I also feel at times like Dobby the House Elf. It is a hard role, but your family is such a great group of people and that wouldn't happen without you! The nice thing is that someday when your kids are gone you will still be young and able to do all that you want to do too.
ReplyDeleteWe kids sure do love you guys! Seriously, when I look back at my life, there really isn't anything that I would have done without my mom (lovingly) hounding me. Whether it was my Eagle, college applications, grades, or getting my mission papers turned in, it was all because of her. Thanks Mommy.
ReplyDelete