Turns out my compliance has been helpful to the healing process. The swelling was way down (one of the best they've seen, they said), and the sutures were ready to come out.
Wait... what?

As the nurse took off my splint, my mouth got really dry. I'm not sure if I was more shocked by how gross my ankle looked, or by how long the hair on my leg was :-)
I tried to pass is off as a symptom of all the drugs, but John brought over my bottle of water. Then, when the PA came in to take out the sutures, I asked John for anything that I could use as a fan. He gave me a piece of cardboard. Halfway through the suture removal, I had to lay down because I was seriously going to pass out! It's one thing to see it done to somebody else--I can do anything and be anywhere with a sick family member--but it was too much to see and feel something done to me. I was glad to know though that Glo found it incredibly fascinating.
I tried to pass is off as a symptom of all the drugs, but John brought over my bottle of water. Then, when the PA came in to take out the sutures, I asked John for anything that I could use as a fan. He gave me a piece of cardboard. Halfway through the suture removal, I had to lay down because I was seriously going to pass out! It's one thing to see it done to somebody else--I can do anything and be anywhere with a sick family member--but it was too much to see and feel something done to me. I was glad to know though that Glo found it incredibly fascinating.

I got my cast! It was a hard decision, picking a color. Personally, I wanted a nice khaki or flesh color, but John was voting for neon green and Glo wanted red. Thankfully, we found a compromise in blue--a little bit neutral, but still some color.
I can't describe how much better I feel now. Of course, I came home and took a four hour nap after the 30 minute appointment, but now that I've napped, life seems so much better. The sutures were causing me a lot of pain which is naturally gone now. Woot! Too, my leg isn't going anywhere in this cast, thank goodness. (Just this morning, I slipped and fell off my scooter and the splint did little to protect me as I fell on the floor.) I'm off all of my pain meds except one which means my mind is clear and I'm not falling asleep every five minutes.
I'll take a photo of the cast in the morning. I was too busy sleeping to snap one today :-)
This great news! Post a picture of your blue cast some time.
ReplyDelete