But the most wonderful fireworks I ever experienced were those over Lake Guthrie when I was a child. I grew up with my grandparents and of course went everywhere they did. The Guthrie Country Club was located at the Guthrie Lake and my grandparents played golf on the GCC links. The most fun I had was going with them to the fireworks at the lake on the 4th of July each year. It was so magical sitting at the side of the lake and watching the fireworks float over my head. It was always hot but I never noticed any mosquitoes. The air had a soft warm breeze and there was always ice cream to cool you down if it got too hot. My grandpa, James Everett McMillin, helped manage the fireworks. Like his management of the kitchen at the Masonic Temple, I did not understand what exactly he did with the fireworks but I knew it was important. If he got those fireworks in the air, he must be important. They were so beautiful with many colors. I always wished they would go on forever. When he came back after the fireworks were over and took my hand to go home, I felt like I had just been to some magical world where all was happy. I liked being happy back then. I think about my grandpa and how sweet he was to me. The only thing I liked as much as the fireworks was sitting on the front porch on Wentz and counting the cars with him. It meant a lot to me. I loved him dearly for his fireworks and sitting on the porch. It was a simple life but sweet and secure.
M-B
What a sweet and treasured memory. Thanks for sharing, M.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a perfect moment in time!
ReplyDelete