I've been either walking or running each morning, about four miles each time. The other morning, the temperature started out really cold, here under the trees and next to the lake. By the time I got out on the road, in my fleece, in the sun, I was sweating up a storm. Like any good runner, I took off my fleece and left it semi-hidden under some trees next to the road. I then spent the next half hour drinking in the beauty of Michigan. I don't know what it is, but every color here seems like MORE than anywhere else. The greens are deeper, the blues brighter, even the sun seems softer. I was actually composing a "Top Ten Reasons I Love Michigan More than Anywhere Else on the Earth" post in my head.
On my return trip, I neared the tree where I had left my fleece. To my bewilderment, it was GONE! Gone, I say!
I can't begin to describe the disappointment I felt. I have had this specific red fleece for over 10 years. John bought it for me when it was actually fashionable. Now, there's not much "fleeciness" left to it. Any strings have been pulled out, and it has basically no shape anymore. John now mocks my beauty each time I wear it. I don't care--it's terribly comfortable and keeps me just warm enough when I'm watching TV or working in the yard. I didn't want to lose it.
Needless to say, my thoughts about Michiganders changed immediately. Thieves, the whole lot of 'em, I was convinced!
When I came home and shared my story with John, he felt bad, but I could tell, not TOO bad, or maybe I should say, not bad ENOUGH.
We headed out to the nearest mall to find a replacement, although I knew it could never be replaced. I stopped along the road to show John the spot where my fleece had "died", never to be seen again. Crazily, he walked up to the nearest house and knocked on the door. A very Michigan-looking man and his three dogs came out and pointed to the adjoining tanning salon. I watched John then walk over there, walk in, and low and behold, walk back out with my FLEECE!
My beloved fleece was found! Looking just as gnarly as ever, it looked like gold to me.
So, I guess Michigan can take a top spot on my list again. The tanning-salon owners said they were worried that one of their clients had left it. Sure they did. Folded? Under a tree? I know that really that saw the value in my beloved fleece and wanted it all for themselves. :-)
Mama, you look so beautiful in the maroon fleece, what a fortunate occurrence that we found it, what a tragedy it would have been if it had not reappeared. Mostly I am happy that you are happy that your fleece is found.
ReplyDelete