Sunday, July 25, 2010

If I Were A Rich (Wo)Man...

Everybody must know the scene from Fiddler on the Roof when Tevya sings "If I Were A Rich Man" (if not, rent the movie tonight!) He is lamenting the fact that on the eve of the Sabbath, his horse becomes lame and Tevya, himself, is left to finish up his route by pulling the milk cart. Honestly, I'm not sure at this point if I feel more sympathy for him, or his horse...

While dropping off the lame beast, he sings about the possible life he could have if he were a rich man. When dreaming of his mansion, he sings my favorite line from that song: "There would be one long staircase just going up, and one even longer coming down, and one more leading nowhere, just for show." There are a lot of things I could think of having, if indeed I were a rich woman, but I think one sign of affluence would be fresh flowers on display in my house. For just this week, I am living this dream.

I have always found it wonderfully surprising to open my door to a flower delivery person, or to be brought flowers by a friend. This week, I have felt the warmth and love of friends and family with deliveries of flowers. At first, I kept the arrangements next to my chair, but after the cleaning lady came, I couldn't resist spreading them throughout the house on my newly dusted furniture. There are smiling daisies in the front hall, elegant roses and freesia on the piano, welcoming mums and freesia on the coffee table, an arrangement of all kinds of summer blooms near my chair and multi-colored roses from my honey in the living room (reminding me of the first bouquet of flowers John ever gave me). I love that as I scooter around the house, I am greeted by their beautiful colors. They bring a bit of the outdoors that I am missing so desperately into my home and remind me that I am loved.

I like feeling like a rich woman, at least rich in flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment