
I'm pretty sure that most people who read this blog know that I'm a college football freak. Actually, if there's any kind of sports on TV, I'll watch it, but in the fall, my friends know that I will be locked to my computer, either watching college football games or checking college football scores. Lately, there has been a lot going on, and I figured that I would comment on a lot of it and provide my opinion. If you disagree with me, or have the slightest inclination to talk to me about it, please do. I love college football discussions.
1. The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) system. This is the college football equivalent of a post season, where the "best" teams play one another to see who is the best. However, in reality, it in no way proves who is the best. The bowls, stadiums where the games are played, invite two teams that they feel would bring in the most revenue to their stadium. While there is a pecking order in terms of who can invite who (The Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange bowls have first pick, and can therefore choose the best teams) bowls often only choose teams from the six biggest conferences. Teams from smaller conferences, such as the Mountain West (BYU, TCU, and Utah) don't have the opportunity to play, because the bowls want money, so they pick schools that can bring a lot of fans and revenue with them. This is a cheap and inexcusable system. The way that the post season should be established is the way that every other tournament is set up; a certain amount of teams (64, 32,16) is chosen, and the 64 best teams play to make it to the finals. Instead, the bowls control the system, and it all comes down to money, rather than who is better than who.
2. In the end, school loyalty doesn't matter. I don't know how many of you have watched ESON lately, but a major event occurred in college football this week. Pete Carroll, the head coach of the University of Southern California football team, resigned to go coach the Seattle Seahawks, a NFL team. This is HUGE!!!!! Every season, every head coach across the nation prays for two things. First, that his team will win every game and two, that USC will lose at least one game. USC has been a monster of a program for the past eight years, having won over 90% of their games. USC always has a top-five recruiting class, with third-string quarterbacks (quarterbacks who are the third best on the team) who would be the best quarterback at any other football team in the nation. Their quarterback from two years ago, Mark Sanchez, is now the rookie quarterback for the New York Jets, but was only the best quarterback at USC or one year. All of this was mostly due to Pete Carroll. He joined USC in 2001, and made it into the monster that it became. However, all of a sudden he now leaves? He was revered at USC like none other, but now leaves? The only reason he has is that they shoved millions into his face, and he couldn't refuse. This, in my mind, is a disgrace, because a man should love the program more than the money they are paying him, and obviously Pete Carroll didn't feel the same.
Anyways, these were some thought that I thought were interesting, and if you want to comment, please do.
I just heard today that the head coach for Tennessee is going to USC to replace Pete Carroll. The students at Tennessee were none to happy about it either, despite the fact that he has a 7-6 record for the season. Loyalty seems to be a hard thing to come by. Anybody ever heard of Rich Rodriguez?
ReplyDeleteAs far as the bowls, I have never understood how the teams are chosen. Now that you have enlightened me on that subject, it IS inexcusable. You know, if the powers-that-be want to bring in money, they should just go to the teams that draw in the most fans. Anybody ever heard of University of Michigan? :-)
Wow Cheese, you are well informed about a subject I have respect for but little knowledge of. Maybe you should be a sports commentator. I have to say, I would tune in if the Cheese was commentating.
ReplyDelete