Practicing the Horn
As you may all know, I recently got a new horn teacher. Her name is Angela Cordell, and we picked her because at the time that she came to our attention, she was in the Philadelphia Philharmonic, which is an orchestra very well known for its reputation of excellence. So we looked her up and had a trial lesson with her. At first, she didn't really strike me as any different from my previous teacher, but that view changed the week before Christmas break, when she gave me the kick in the butt I needed; she basically said that I had to practice at least and hour and a half every day, no exceptions, if I was to become a good horn player, and that I should always keep a log of my practice times. Of course, I'm sad to say that the teacher I was with before did not make me practice, although that might have been my fault. Anyways, so I started practicing every day, and man, it was hard at first. Trust me, try making a constant buzzing sound with your lips, while sucking in and shooting out air, for an hour and a half every day, while trying to maintain tone and dynamics and good pitch, and you're getting halfway there. (: But honestly, the hard work, I am glad to say, is paying off. I used to kind of blow off the lessons and not practice. I used to not enjoy playing horn, except for performances, and even then there weren't many of those and the music I played wasn't super hard. But now, with all this practicing, I LIKE horn playing (: I used to see it as an annoying little fly, that would zoom around my head all day, nagging at the deep recesses of my mind until I finally half-willingly did it. Now, like when we came back from Germany, I was so excited to get home and to be able to play my horn. Its an amazing feeling, and honestly, I kind of feel like I'm converting to Scott Legerism (:
Great points, Mark. I am trying to make sure all my kids read it and learn from your wisdom!
ReplyDelete