Yes, for the first time, I changed the blog background. We woke up this morning to several more inches of snow, and I slipped and slid all the way down our driveway. Weather has never, ever bothered me. I pride myself on the fact that I love hot and cold, fall and spring, winter and summer. I look forward to each new season as much as the next. But after this winter....
My resolution for this year is to run a marathon. I know it's crazy, but I need it. I told my physical therapist this the other day, and she told me that I'm not allowed to jog one step until I can walk 3-4 miles without pain. Fine. Whatever I need to do. I'm not even going to think about my back problems and running-I'll take some pain killer if I must :-) With this resolution, John promised me that I can run any marathon I want. I'm thinking a tropical, beach locale would be ideal.
Nothing like a visual reminder of a goal to help out!
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Larisa! Which marathon are you thinking? I am going to do a half or maybe 2 halves, but not on the same day. Every time I run 13 miles I can not fathom having 13 more to go.
ReplyDeleteHey Katrina! Funny thing. Just today, I picked up John's latest issue of Runner's World with the 2010 Marathon Guide. Woot! Turns out that most of the top-rated marathons are held on Sunday. Unwoot... Also, I'm discovering that the more exotic the locale, the less chance a race will be on Saturday. For example, 90% of Ohio's marathons are held on Saturday. Hawaii? None!
ReplyDeleteHere are some possibilities:
May 16: Ogden Marathon. This is right around the time that Ethan is "available" to leave on his mission. If we're already in Utah...
May 22: Fargo Marathon. Yes, as in Fargo, North Dakota. Exotic locale in an entirely different light.
June 13: Bear Lake (Utah) marathon. I will already be in Utah on this day, so why not run a marathon too?
September 25: Akron, Ohio Marathon. Only 3 hours from us. Voted a winner in the category "Best Value". Get this: the $85 fee includes a technical hat, a Running Times subscription and a Brooks running jacket or shoes. Wow!
October 2: St. George Marathon (I know from some friends that entry for this marathon is by lottery, so who knows how that would work out?)
November 13: Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon, Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. This marathon was voted the best in several different catagories. Crazy, huh?
First, however, I have to start walking those darn 3-4 miles without pain. I did a mile on Monday, no problem (in fact, I felt like a loser NOT running on a treadmill), but I was stretching my darn plantar fascia all night, refusing to let it work up to any pain. :-)
Larisa
ReplyDeleteLet me know what you decide.......it would be fun if you end up doing one in Utah to both do it (or half of it for me)! My friend who has done a few marathons did St. George last year and didn't sound like she liked it. She said something about it being in the middle of no where and if you got stuck between aid stations no one would know. I don't even know where the plantar fascia is-I'll have to ask Mike. I'm sure he knows! Keep up the good work!
Katrina
I think we should do the Bear Lake one. It's both a marathon and half-marathon. We'll be there (or some of us will be). Maybe I'll only be up to a half by then. Plus, I'm trying to talk Johannah into running a half. It would be fun to do it with her too. Again, that darn plantar fascia...
ReplyDeleteI was thinking Bear Lake, too. Ashley will run the half. She's really excited about the idea of Johanna running, too. Should we sign up? I don't know Mike's call schedule-we have some calendaring issues because he got an iTouch and I don't know how to use it, and I get his old Palm when he gets all of his info transferred to his iTouch, so I haven't upadated everything into my Palm, etc. Anyway, I am just thinking I have to make sure someone is available to watch the baby, but Rachel said she doesn't want to run, and I know Kailee doesn't so that should leave them available either way. This will be FUN! Okay, I wimped out at 5.5 miles this morning, but I wanted to wimp out at 5 so I guess that's not too bad!
ReplyDeleteHey, at least you are running! It's more than I can say. I'm thinking I'll do the half with Johannah and shoot for the Akron marathon in September. I need to train slowly because of my foot and back. You know, I've seen people WALKING marathons. Maybe I'll be one of those LOSERS! :-)
ReplyDelete