Okay, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have the worst luck when trying to comment, post, or have anything to do with this blog. There have been several times where I have written a very well thought out post or comment, clicked Publish post, and then watch as either a) my Internet cuts out, taking the post/comment with it, or b) It doesn't immediately process, I close the window, and the comment or post is not published. This happened to me two days ago when I tried to post about the snow, so this is why I'm only just now posting. But I digress...
The ride home was easily the most stressful part of the trip for me. The first three hours, like my mother said, were nice and easy. The sun was shining, the roads were clear, the tank was clean...It was all good! I took a nap confident that the drive was not going to be bad, and took over for my dad in the fun little Ford Focus rental car when I woke up. Again, the day was beautiful. I even commented to my dad how it was so great to see the blue sky and the sun. Naturally, I jinxed it, and within an hour the sky was dark and snow had started to fall. I didn't think this would be an issue until I started going over bridges, and realizing that when you see the signs: "Bridge may be icy," they actually mean it! I could feel the car start sliding every time we drove across a bridge, and I quickly learned not to touch ANY pedals with my feet.
Mark was driving the Element, and it was apparent that it wasn't safe for him to drive in the snow. My dad took over the rental car, I got into the driver's seat my trusty Element, and away we went. The roads were absolutely awful. People were going 40 miles an hour on 65 roads, cars were in the ditch, the road markings were barely visible...it was bad. Add to the fact that it was dark and snowing, and we had to pull into this gas station/ restaurant. Regardless of the hick-like quality of the place, we stayed for about an hour, had dinner and hoped that the roads would get a little better, and then off we went again. Now I like to drive with one hand at the top of the steering wheel, leaning back, with my other hand lightly resting on the bottom of the wheel. This drive I was hunched over, hands tightly clenching the 10 and 2 positions, and was STILL having issues keeping the car from sliding. It went on like this for two and a half hours of snow on I-80. My shoulders were so sore by the end, and I was just exhausted by the entire ordeal. We FINALLY made it home, and I never thought I would be so happy to see clear black asphalt! While it was extremely hard, my dad pointed out: "It's good practice," and we made it home safely, but I would prefer NOT to go through that experience again.
I had a drive like that on I-80 once, it was white knuckle the whole way with semis and cars in ditches along the road. My usual six hour drive to Utah took me 14. So NOT fun. I'm glad to hear you made it home safely; it's a good thing you're such a great driver!
ReplyDeleteGood post, Cheese. You and Daddy were THE MEN!! Seriously, that had to be one of the scariest moments of my life.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, between the roads and snow in Germany and now here, I'm officially becoming a hermit for the next four months. I think I can live on the pasta and cereal we have in our food storage.
Sounds like a plan. Want me to bring you Wegman's ice cream sandwiches to supplement your diet?
ReplyDeleteWegman's? If I'm going into Hermit-land, you'd better bring me Klondikes!
ReplyDelete