
For the past four weeks, Glo has been participating in intramural skiing through her elementary school. Once a week, the kids are bussed to our local ski resort, given lessons, a meal and allowed to ski for three hours. Honestly, Glo has been waiting to do this for years, ever since she first skied in Switzerland when she was four. Yes, she actually remembers it, and remembers how much she LOVED it. She's fearless on the runs and has flown through the different levels of ability. (She had some random adult take these photos of her (and her good friend, Pia) on the bunny hill.)

I think I find all of this very impressive. Growing up, I loved to cross-country ski and did it for years, but when I first tried downhill skiing (also in Switzerland), I swore I would never do it again. I was terrified through the whole experience, and my legs were an aching mess for days. There's something awe-inspiring to me when my kids are able to do something that I can't (yo-yo tricks, skiing, playing the viola), or when my kids know more about something than I do (Ethan has surpassed me in most intellectual areas, not surprisingly). A lot of what they are comes directly from John and me, but it's a good feeling to see them developing their own individual interests that have absolutely nothing to do with their parents.
Woo hoo Glo! That's so cool. I think it would have been really fun if We could do something like that together as a family.
ReplyDeleteWe did! In Switzerland! Remember?
ReplyDeleteYeah, but like serious skiing. Wouldn't it be fun if all of us were really good skiiers? Kind of like Mark and me and Ultimate Frisbee
ReplyDeleteI am all for it, we should at least go to Tussey Mountain, it is close and they sometimes have snow, sometimes.
ReplyDelete