Ethan is currently visiting his best friend, Brandon, in Las Vegas. The first two days were splendid. Ethan said it was like they hadn't been apart--everything just fell back into the normal rhythm of two best friends hanging out. They talked a lot and even played games with Brandon's mom--just like old times. They went to the Las Vegas (Henderson) temple the first day, and yesterday did initiatories for my family names in the St. George temple. Seriously, what kind of 19-year-old boys temple hop for fun? AWESOME 19-year-old boys, for sure!
Brandon enters the MTC in less than two weeks, so he thought it would be a good idea for Ethan and him to drive up to Idaho to see his girlfriend one last time. Both John and I (but mostly John) told Ethan that he should nix that plan--it just couldn't end well. Anyone out there who is older than Ethan can probably predict what THAT has been like so far, at least for Ethan.
I called him last night, and as soon as I heard his mumbled "yes" and "no" to questions, I knew he was not alone in the room. Too, he wasn't offering anything up--just expecting me to ask the right questions to which he could respond with a "yes" or "no". Yeah, there has been serious making-outage surrounding Ethan, not only by Brandon and his girlfriend, but by their friends and their boy/girlfriends. Ethan was worried that he would feel like the third wheel on this trip, but last night he told me that he feels more like the seventh wheel. They did try and set Ethan up with a girl, but unbeknownst to them, his heart is at 60 Lincoln Center Plaza. I just have to laugh about the whole thing (sorry, Cheese)!
I think in his heart of hearts, Ethan was hoping that everything would be like the trip when Brandon and Lisa came out to visit us. Everybody was friends, laughed a lot and had a good time. They weren't "together" then, so there were no awkward moments.
I know it's cruel and usual, especially for my son that I love so dearly, but yep, I told him so.
P.S. I can't believe how short Mark is in the above photo. We measured last weekend, and he's now as tall as Cheese. Crazy!
Whatever. I COMPLETELY admit that my mother and father were correct. Only a day and a half left!
ReplyDeleteI actually remember saying the words "third wheel" to Ethan when he told us he was going on the Rexburg road trip. We love you Cheese!
ReplyDeleteI love it! I'm laughing all the way to the "I told you so" bank! This will be great ammunition for the next few weeks. :-)
ReplyDeleteYou know what? As I sit here in the Peine household while Brandon is talking to Lisa on the phone, I remember how much I love my parents and how much they love me and want to take care of me, and I WISH I HAD LISTENED!!! I've had more fun with SISTER Peine than Brandon while we've been in Las Vegas!
ReplyDelete