Last summer, John found a pond kit for $1,000. It included the pump, filter, 15' x 20' pond liner and the liner for a 20' waterfall. It sat in our garage all winter, taking up a lot of space.
This summer, while I was in Utah with the kids, he started digging. You must understand that our land is basically one large rock. I think it's limestone, but it doesn't matter. We have no dirt at all, so digging a hole for anything is a major undertaking (think "pickaxe").
His story is long, and I'll leave him to tell it, but here are a few photos. It's seriously one of the most amazing things he's ever built.
So beautiful!! I love it!!
ReplyDeleteTo put this in perspective, it took me, and four of my worker friends, Jim Delong, Tracy Kendall, David Lee and Ed Mills a solid week to dig a 15 by 20 foot round hole in the ground that is at its deepest about three feet deep. Then I had to pickaxe a huge rock in the middle till it was fairly smooth, then I had to dig a 30"diameter and 30" deep hole to hold the skimmer box, then I had to build a waterfall with cinderblocks and dirt and rocks, lay old carpet in the bottom, then landscape cloth, then the liner, then gravel, rocks, boulders, bigger rocks and finally water and plants and it looks good but it was tough!
ReplyDelete