
My favorite concert of the entire Interlochen summer season is the high school woodwind chamber ensemble recital. Every year, Mark has been chosen to play in a woodwind quintet (clarinet, flute, bassoon, oboe and horn) much to Mark's chagrin. Being in a brass ensemble is infinitely easier. Brass players understand each other--lip problems, volume, just the brass instruments themselves. Woodwind instrumentalists, on the other hand, do NOT understand hornists. They think the horns are too loud, too soft, not fast enough, expect the instrument to be played like a woodwind instrument WHICH IS IT NOT! I would think that Mark was just blowing a lot of hot air, complaining about all of this, but I saw the sympathy that his horn teacher shared with him (while smiling, knowingly).
Anyway, the recital today was not a disappointment. It went by too fast, and I could have sat there for a couple more hours. Here is a small (illegally procured) excerpt.
No comments:
Post a Comment