Before I begin, I must say, I'm so thankful that Johannah posted underneath this post. If you haven't read her post about the skunk, do so. It's really cute.
I don't like hypocrites. You know, people who say one thing and do another. For some reason, when I find out that someone has done something behind my back and think they won't get caught, but I find out, it ruins any possibility of ever trusting them again. People sometimes don't like me because I say it how it is, but I would rather be truthful and not always liked than be a hypocrite.
Along with hypocrites, I don't like liars. You know, people who don't tell the truth, and I'm not talking about full-out lying. I'm talking about those half-truths, or not telling the whole truth. Just tell me the truth and let me deal with it. It's far less painful than finding out that there was dishonesty involved. I think sometimes people don't like to tell me the truth because they know I will call them on the mat, or defend whatever I think they have wrongly accused. My kids know how I feel about this, and at times their truthfulness needs a bit of censorship, but I would rather they err on the side of truth than on the side of lying.
On the other hand, I love honest people. I don't want to drop any names, but I have a sister-in-law who is painfully honest. I used to get offended by some of the things she said, but I came to appreciate that I would always know how she felt about things. I find it relaxing, not playing the manipulated games of many women with her, but knowing how she feels and knowing that she'll listen to me.
Too, I have a friend (who doesn't even read this blog) that is half my age She's actually an ex-girlfriend of Ethan. While Ethan and she have remained good friends, she and I have grown closer. She's one of those people that everybody loves, because she loves everybody. She has the most genuine heart, and I never worry that she's hiding some feeling about me. She actually thinks about people and their feelings. I love her.
Just had to get all of this out there. If you don't like it, don't hide it from me. Let me know. Or, if you don't like it and don't want to tell me, don't hold it against me in the future. Afterall, can't we all just get along?
We were reading in Matthew a few weeks ago and the word hypocrite must have been in the chapter a billion times. The kids loved their new word, yelling out "hypocrite!" every time we came to it. I loved that we could all talk about being honest and genuine even when it's hard to do. I love that you care more about what's real and true that what looks or sounds good!
ReplyDeleteCouldn't agree with you more on this one!
ReplyDeleteI agree! As ususal, this is very well written. I have been stewing over this exact thing since returning from Washington. Family. Gotta love 'em. Or at least live with them.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I have been thoroughly enjoying doing family names. I keep thinking of calling you and thanking you, but I am really crazy busy somehow. I did put your name on the temple prayer roll. I figured you need all the prayers you can get!
I have to admit, I feel guilty because I know I am a hypocrite all the time. I talk about things with my family, with the kids, at church and sometimes I find myself doing what I have spoken against. It is so hard not being perfect. For example, today in priesthood we were discussing keeping the sabbath day holy and one boy admitted he played video games all sunday. I said there were other things that might be better to do, however, I have in the past played video games on Sunday. It is so frustrating to be such a sinner. I actually asked the people in the room who had done this as well and we all raised our hands, what a bummer we are all such sinners. I keep trying to do better but I often fail.
ReplyDelete