Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ode to Elmo


Today I shelved Elmo. Yes, I actually shelved him. I had been holding it together pretty well until then, but at that moment, tears welled up in my eyes and I was thankful that I had my glasses on to shield my face from Ethan.

I can't remember exactly when Ethan was given Elmo. I believe it was at Christmastime when he was two or three years old. Little did we know then how loved Elmo would be.

There was an immediate bond between Ethan and Elmo. I'm not sure if it was because they actually resembled each other--gangly arms, gangly legs and skinny as beanpoles! Or perhaps it was the comforting soul of Elmo that Ethan treasured so much. Whatever it was, Elmo was to be found tucked under covers every night, nestled under the guarding arm of Ethan. I think Elmo and Ethan slept like that until we left Germany and Ethan was a maturing boy of 15. By that time, Elmo had lost most of his eyes thanks to puppies and age, and his fur had been loved off just like what happened to the velveteen rabbit. Despite all that, even here in Pennsylvania, Elmo has never been far from Ethan's bed.

Today, as I put you, Elmo, on the shelf, I realized that I was shelving eighteen wonderful years of memories. Ethan is leaving us now, going off to find his own way. Just like I can't go with him and help him along anymore, you too must stay here. We will be glad when he comes home or when he drops us a line or calls us, but it won't ever quite be the same. Just like you, I put on my strong, happy face when Ethan is around, but I know, inside, we both already miss him.

5 comments:

  1. Mommy, as I stay up past that time I was supposed to go to bed (yes, I know I have a long day tomorrow), I'm crying because I'm going to miss you guys so much. It's so sad to think that our family is never going to be the same again. Whether we're off at college, on missions, or married, it's never going to be just the six of us living together anymore. I'm going to miss being with you guys so much. Today was the day before trash day, so Mark and I had to take down the trash like we have (most of the time) for the past three years. We were jamming to B94.5, and the music was blasting, and we were dancing as we took all of the trash out of the car to the curb. As we were doing that, I realized that it's the last time we'll ever do that together for a long time. This is what we do. And it's so sad for me to think that it won't be that way anymore.
    However, I know that no matter how hard it is for us to not be together anymore, I know that whenever I come home, you guys will always be there for me. I love you guys so much, and I'm so sad to be leaving.
    P.S. I'm sleeping with Elmo tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you, Cheese. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Markie Boy said...
    Mommy, When i read that, tears welled up in my eyes and i really started feeling so sad that Ethan is leaving. Like Elmo, I have been cared for by Ethan. I have had him in my life for over 16 years, and they have been the happiest days of my life. I can't remember the time when Ethan didn't help me through something or was able to help me out, especially in school. Like Elmo, he has held me under his arm, protecting, caring and loving me, shaping me into the person I am. He's never in the year we were able to go to PMEA, Master Singers, Thespians or Adjudication, stopped me from coming into his circle of friends and help me feel welcome. He never pushed me out of the group and never made me feel unimportant. hes been my best friend this year, and I really grew close to him this year. Thanks a lot for posting that Mommy. Love all my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daddy here, yes I am posting on the blog, under Mommy's name because she was signed in. Now I know why I do not go on this thing, it is because it is soo sad. I love the Cheese and seeing lonely Elmo makes me want to cry too. Ethan loves Elmo too because Elmo has such a loving heart like the Cheese. He is always there for everybody like the Cheese. Just like he always says "Elmo loves you". We love you Cheese, as does your little red friend and miss you already even though it has only been a few hours since we left you at school. Be good and know we are praying for you. Love, Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The desktop is all wet now from my tears. Ethan, I don't know what I'll do without you. I won't have anyone to relate to anymore. I love you and soo does the rest of the family including Elmo. Kitty says hi.

    ReplyDelete