Today, I feel more of a Thanksgiving spirit than a Christmas one. I am feeling overwhelmed by all of the blessings that our family has received, and I need to express some of that gratitude today.
Our family has had more opportunities than I could have ever imagined when we first started this whole venture back in 1989. Living in Germany was probably the one with the most impact on all of our lives. As I've been home for the last two days, it has really hit me how much Germany is "home" for all of us. It's the place where we feel the most comfortable, where we have the best memories and where we have felt and continue to feel the most love. I would never have guessed that I would have ever lived outside of the US, but when the Air Force offered it, we took it. So much of my children's identities are tied to that country. What a marvelous opportunity.
Church-wise, we have had some amazing opportunities also. Playing the organ for the dedication of the Columbus, Ohio temple was something so completely out of the blue. I sat just feet away from the prophet of God, Gordon B. Hinckley, and for once our opportunity was completely dependent on my and my skills. To this day, I have the sheet of paper that reserved John's seat. It says: Husband of Larisa Kennedy, organist. :-)
Just a year and a half ago, Richard G. Scott sat in our living room for a couple of hours and spent time with our family. Talk about mind-blowing!
Last year, a new member of our ward phoned me and asked me if she could write an article on Ethan for the New Era. She had recently moved from Utah where she had been an editor for the magazine. Thinking, "yeah, right, go ahead, but I'm sure it will never be printed," Ethan showed up when he was supposed to and I thought that was the end of it.
This month, Ethan is indeed featured in The New Era. Seriously, I could hardly unpack from our trip and get ready for Christmas, because I kept thinking about the article. Please check it out!
http://lds.org/Static%20Files/PDF/Magazines/NewEra/English/2010/NE_2010_01_13___09241_000_015.pdf
The funny thing? Ethan is quoted more in that article than the other two priests, and why? In my opinion, because he's had so many wonderful opportunities for growth in his short life. Opportunities never planned; opportunities that were almost harder than he felt he could bear at times; opportunities to learn about life that he can now share with others.
William Hale White said: "When I look back now over my life and call to mind what I might have had simply for taking and did not take, my heart is like to break." I hope that my children will take every opportunity that their Heavenly Father gives them, because I think he gives us many. No broken hearts. No regrets. Just growth and learning and wonderment at it all!
No comments:
Post a Comment