
Several years ago, Glo was given "Thing 2" by a family member. It's a small, stuffed character that squeaks when one pushes on his belly. Glo adored "Squeak" from that moment on. She wrote her name on him when she first learned to spell and write it, and to this day, it brings a smile to see it still there, backwards :-)
Every night, as Glo climbs into bed, I hear "Say goodnight to Squeakie, Mommy!" to which I always reply "Goodnight, Squeakie". Next I hear "I love you, Squeakie", and I repeat "I love you, Squeakie". It doesn't matter where I am in the house, I send my love to Squeak and Glo, and if I'm away for the evening, I can consistently count on a voicemail on my cell from Squeak saying the exact same words.
A year or two ago, John began singing a song to Squeakie every night. The melody is usually based on the last piece of music that John heard. It can be from a commercial, or a hymn, or a rock 'n roll song from John's iPod. He then makes up words about Squeak and Glo to the melody. Glo loves it, and if any of us are around to hear it, it brings a smile to our faces.
Tonight, with John stuck at the hospital on call, I was asked to step in (as usual) for John. Ethan, who was sitting right there from scripture reading and prayers, piped up and said that he would sing to Squeak tonight. Wondering exactly what music would be chosen, Ethan begins the opening chords and rhythm to Coldplay's Viva la Vida. Mark, who was still laying on the ground from scriptures and prayers, piped in with the harmony and continued the chords while Ethan took the melody. In the true form of our Daddy, all three verses were about Squeak and Glo. It made my day!
It was a lot of fun to do. Viva La Vida is one of my favorite songs, and when Mark is around, I know I can count on him to have the harmony, so it ended up being really cool.
ReplyDeleteThanks boys for filling in for me singing for Squeakie. I sure love you guys and I sure love Glo, and I love Johannah and I love Mommy the most! ...Squeakie is Glo's friend and he is cool, Glo has blue eyes and some brown hair, they are two good friends and they are cool, they are going to bed right now, Glo is Squeaks friend and they are going to bed, Johannah is our neighbor its so cool, singing Squeakie songs is real fun...sing that to Viva la Vida, a great choice for a song to Squeakie.
ReplyDeleteYour family rocks! I love how you take such good care of each other. Someone steps up when needed, and boy, I can see how Glo and Squeakie would love that song!
ReplyDelete